What's new

Any noticeable difference between AC86u and AX86u?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jherb

Regular Contributor
Hello,
I have read several posts stating that there is no real world difference when using the AX86u vs the AC86u given that they have the same CPU (but 2 core vs 4 core) and that many activities only use one core anyway so having more doesn't matter, etc.
I've also read some mixed reviews about the range. Some state that AX86u has better range, but others state the opposite.

I'm wondering if there is any tangible benefit of the AX86u over the AC86u. I have a few AX clients, but I don't feel they are slow on AC now anyway.

I use OpenVPN server, and I do use the USB port to host a shared drive, so I'm particularly interested if that is any different as it would help if that was faster. I do not have a dedicated NAS and realize those would be faster.

Thanks for any shared experience.

Newer hardware, AX vs. AC, double the RAM and better cooling.
My AC86U was given to a new home. I visit it from time to time but do not miss it...

you can always buy AX86S (2 cores, no 2.5Gbit port version of AX86U)

AC86U over a time have challenge with HW often, wi-fi R.I.P etc. AX86S will have longer firmware support

If you have mostly AC clients - no much of a difference. Range - you have to test in your environment. My AC86U had better range and wall penetration than AX86U/S - about 4dBm more sensitive radios. AX86U works better on higher channels 149-161 in North America. In Europe you have to use DFS around ch.100 for better range.

I would replace AC86U regardless because of the issues it has and because of limited support, but not with older AX86U - with the new AX86U Pro. It has updated hardware and will receive the new Pro firmware when it’s ready.

That's interesting. Why does the AX86U have better range for higher channels in US? I wasn't aware that made a difference other than for congestion, etc.

Thanks alot.

Differently tuned radios and antennas perhaps. Both 36-48 and 149-161 bands allow up to 1W in US/Canada and the routers are almost there as per FCC certification documents, but AX86U just works better on 149-161. AC86U works well on both 36-48 and 149-161.

What I can say is that wireless performance of the RT-AX86U Pro I did have for a few days stayed behind the RT-AC68U.
I don't have AX clients and maybe my findings where due to a bad RT-AX86U Pro, or me not being patient enough to try all possible settings etc., anyway the RT-AX86U Pro was returned, money back and with the RT-AC68U back in operation all issues are solved.

If you can afford it go for the GT-AX6000.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!