What's new

any point to setting USB port solid state drives for "spindown"?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RussellInCincinnati

Am wondering it is good, bad or meaningless in terms of power consumption or performance, for RMerlin _58 software to be set to "spin down" typical low-end solid state 128 gig SSD drives.

Am wondering it is good, bad or meaningless in terms of power consumption or performance, for RMerlin _58 software to be set to "spin down" typical low-end solid state 128 gig SSD drives.

i think it would be pretty meaningless to spin down what cant be spun down cause its not spinning , just like usb dongle being just pure ram it uses very little power anyway

When it comes to performance, the read/write speed advantages of an an SSD are wasted when connected as USB storage to the router. You would be better of investing the money in a regular drive of much higher capacity.

When it comes to performance, the read/write speed advantages of an an SSD are wasted when connected as USB storage to the router.
Actually, the steady-state read/write speeds of my $35 dollar OCZ Trion 100 (and many other low end) solid state disk drives are somewhat slower than the 55 megabytes per second throughput of my RT-AC68U USB 3.0 port when connected to (multiple and conveniently) unpowered NTFS-formatted disk drives in little 2.5 inch external enclosures.

And even through the USB 2.0 port, the lag time for file browsing or folder-size-calculation of deeply-nested directory structures with the router-attached solid state drive is noticeably less than when browsing a spinning physical-disk hard drive, as you could easily verify.

You would be better off investing the money in a regular drive of much higher capacity.
Well you are changing the thread topic instead of usefully answering the thread's question, but sure, agreed, if
  • I didn't care about the fact that solid state drives never, ever need defragmenting, even when formatted conveniently as NTFS.
  • I had some use for more than 128 gigabytes (perhaps 50000-100000 typical documents or smartphone photos) capacity in the era when big media files all come from the remote cloud anyway and
  • I didn't care about the absolute silence of the solid state storage devices and
  • didn't care about the lower power usage of the solid state drives and
  • didn't care about the lower heat output of the solid state drives and
  • didn't care about the dead-solid multi-year 24/7 reliability and resistance to accidental jarring of the solid state disk drives and
  • didn't care about the ability of the router to support multiple unpowered solid state drives through its USB ports without the hassle of extra power adapters and cables for the enclosures.
Thus we see that even ultra slow cellphones have without exception used solid state drives, despite the attractiveness you perceive of the "regular drives of much higher capacity".

didn't care about the lower power usage of the solid state drives and
And what about replacing HDD with SSD in consideration of power?
I have problems which I believe are connected with insufficient power supply in my USB3 port. However I didn't found decent way to check it (to check whether it's power-related or not).
Does putting the SSD have sense here?

And what about replacing HDD with SSD in consideration of power?
I have problems which I believe are connected with insufficient power supply in my USB3 port. However I didn't found decent way to check it (to check whether it's power-related or not).
Does putting the SSD have sense here?
The HDD spin down feature is not specifically for power consumption. It more over addresses the constant spin when not in use wearing the drive down.

The HDD spin down feature is not specifically for power consumption. It more over addresses the constant spin when not in use wearing the drive down.

Its specifically for power and noise. Drives seldom fail from bearing failure nowadays.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!