What's new

Any Reason EA-AC87 Admin Page is Slooooowwwww?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Robert Jones

Occasional Visitor
Kind of a lame question but all the "slow" info I can find refers to link speeds and not responsiveness of the admin page so I have to ask - any reason for the admin page to load and react really slow after being pretty snappy for about 4 years?

Regularly check the logs and LAN map in both my RT-AC88U router in my office and the EA-AC87 bridge in the living room to make sure there are no rogue connections etc. Tonight I checked and accessing the AC87 is really slow and it takes 10-15 seconds for each selected page to load when in the past it was only a couple seconds at most. So it's running like molasses though the link speed to the Roku and TV are both fine as we've just finished watching a 4K movie with no issues. So it's working fine but the admin page is slow for no good reason.

I rebooted, brought it upstairs to the office and it's in the same room as the router but the admin page is still slow. The bridge is not running hot and it seems to be working fine. Just a really slow admin page.

I suppose I could slog through a hard reset if necessary so that's not that big a deal but I wanted to ask first to see if anyone had any advice. The firmware is updated to the latest which is admittedly old but Asus has not updated it in a long time so it's likely to not receive any more updates. Still it's reacted a lot quicker in the past so there's something weird going on.

Thanks,

Bob

I've had 2 ASUS routers where the router functions seem to work fine, but the web interface is slow or completely non-responsive after a while. I now have my routers scheduled for a weekly reboot (which you can do from the admin page) and haven't had any problems since. That hints at a memory leak somewhere in the firmware, but I know enough about programming to be dangerous, and that's a level or two above my pay grade. I also suspect the leak may start from me forgetting to log off and the web login times out. But the weekly reboot fixed the problem, so I've never bothered to deliberately forget to log out to test.

Last edited:
I've had 2 ASUS routers where the router functions seem to work fine, but the web interface is slow or completely non-responsive after a while. I now have my routers scheduled for a weekly reboot (which you can do from the admin page) and haven't had any problems since. That hints at a memory leak somewhere in the firmware, but I know enough about programming to be dangerous, and that's a level or two above my pay grade. I also suspect the leak may start from me forgetting to log off and the web login times out. But the weekly reboot fixed the problem, so I've never bothered to deliberately forget to log out to test.
Yeah, worth a try. I'll set that up and see if it helps. The router and bridge both seem to always work fine without regularly scheduled reboots so I never considered that. Thanks.

Update - Replaced the AC87 with a spare AC1300 router in bridge mode. Speedy. Actually a slight bit faster connection than the AC87 so I'll leave that in place for now and see if I can maybe reflash the 87 and go from there.