What's new

Any reason to update CFE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davewolfs

Regular Contributor
Hello all!

New Asus user. I've updated to merlins latest firmware (works great!). I am wondering is there any reason why I would ever want to update my CFE to 1.0.1.3?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Personally I advise against it. There's a definite risk of bricking your router if anything went wrong during the update. Plus there is little benefit in doing so when running Asuswrt-Merlin - it's mostly useful when running a custom firmware that cannot address the whole 64 KB of nvram, like DD-WRT.

With the step by step instructions it isn't that hard to do.

As merlin indicated the benefit is not that great unless you want to use a firmware that is not aware of the need to address the bug in the "older" cfe and the 64K thing.

For me I did the update now thinking about later. For now the firmwares do not require it. Will at some point? Maybe. I'd rather not find out the hard way. And I'd rather do the update now when the information is available.

Not mandatory at this point however.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!