amtm Any reason to use USB2 over USB3 when formatting USB Thumb Drive?

• ATTENTION! You'll notice a Prefix dropdown when you create a thread. If your post applies to one of the topics listed, please use that Prefix for your post. When browsing the thread list you can use the Prefix to filter the view.
  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Rassal

Regular Contributor
I read in older guides, that pretty much all guides i read explains on how to prepare and format a new USB drive in order to install addons...

I am using a new RT-AX86U with Merlin, and wondering if in 2021, it is still actual to use the USB3.1 port, with a good brand USB 3.1 Thumb Drive and force it to use USB2?

Why is that? I mean why forcing it to use USB2 over USB3, any reason?

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
Possibly to reduce interference with the 2.4 GHz band. Some of us have found that the older USB2 drives last longer than some newer USB3 drives. Thumb drives that is. I have an old PNY 2 GIG USB2 drive that I have used on at least three Asus routers. Just set it up today with a swap partition and an EXT4 partition (for traffic data) to use on Merlin 386.2 beta 3.

Rassal

Regular Contributor