What's new

any repercussions when using reboot scheduler?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apollo18

Occasional Visitor
i have reboot scheduler set so that my access points and router all restart once a week, just to give them a refresh and in doing this i feel like i have to hard reset them minimally. i feel like reboot scheduler is a genius idea and i dont see how it would be bad for the routers, but just wondering what you guys think? i think i read somewehre that its bad to shut off your equipment because the solder starts to become brittle but these reboot schedules start the equipment back up very quickly, so the internals would never cool where they could cause solder brittling.

i may be over thinking but just making sure ahah

i may be over thinking...
I think so. :D Rebooting once a week should not be a problem.

The more important question is "why?". If you need to do this once a week then that could indicate a problem that you probably want to fix, rather than work around.

I think so. :D Rebooting once a week should not be a problem.

The more important question is "why?". If you need to do this once a week then that could indicate a problem that you probably want to fix, rather than work around.

great! thx just wanted to make sure, and i dont have to do it, i like having it set just for peace of mind cuz atleast i know i never have to restart it, because i remember in the past when my routers would go down i would always have to pull the plug, but this way i never have to!

The more important question is "why?".
I do this (scheduled reboot) on all my devices. Some daily, some weekly. I like to ensure they operate in a "clean" environment. Is it necessary? No, or at least hopefully not, but it gives me peace of mind. Clearing caches, temp files, etc is never a bad idea, at least IMO. Most devices can be scheduled, other can be remotely rebooted via a schedule set of commands, and I still have a digital timer (1 minute off sequence) for and old unit that has no other mechanism to force a reboot.

The other reason i like to reboot on a regular schedule is to bring to the forefront any failure, corruption or other problem that needs to be addressed.

back up very quickly, so the internals would never cool where they could cause solder brittling.
Not really an issue with modern electronics, particularly those without moving parts (motors). Also, since it is a soft-boot, power is still applied so essentially moot point for that reason too.

The only "danger" is that one model (I forget if it is the AC68U or theAC86U ?? As I don't have one) has an issue where *some* units will get "stuck" in the soft-boot requiring a hard-boot (pull the plug or hit power switch) so a manually intervention is required and therefore physical access

I always have issues after a reboot with a few of the dozens of IoT devices I have scattered in or around my home. Some do not successfully reconnect or connect to a distant repeater with poor signal strength. I end up having to test those devices and reboot the ones not performing as expected. For this reason I try to avoid unnecessary router reboots.

Likewise I sorely dread the inevitable power glitches we get from our local electric provider. I wish my whole home was on UPS.

Last edited:
Bottom line I think is that there is no "harm" if the user wants to schedule reboots. It all depends on if there are reconnect issues and if they are willing to deal with those, if any.

I wish my whole home was on
Me too. I have 4 x UPSs as I like to control when my units reboot :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!