1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Any simple way to have a VPN client not stop trying to connect?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by kck, May 21, 2019.

1. kck

kck New Around Here

I run a pair of AC88U with 384.10 that maintain a "permanent" VPN connection between their respective LANs using OpenVPN in the router. For the most part this work great. However, on occasion if one of the respective ISPs has a somewhat prolonged outage (over an hour?) as one of mine did last night, the client side of the VPN gives up trying to reconnect. This requires then manual intervention to turn the client back on. Is there some setting I haven't found or other easy trick that would keep the client attempting to connect, even at some slower rate, once it decides that the other end seems "permanently" down?

Thanks.

2. Martineau

Martineau Part of the Furniture

The default is 'connect-retry-max 15'

upload_2019-5-21_17-30-17.png

So you will need a Wiki postconf script to remove 'connect-retry-max 15' from the VPN Client's config.

kck likes this.
  3. kck

kck New Around Here

Duh (slapping myself on the side of the head)! Thanks - didn't think to look at the OpenVPN man since for some reason I was fixated on it as a Merlin interface thing.

4. Martineau

Martineau Part of the Furniture

Ahh, but the OpenVPN 2.4 man (to me) still isn't 100% clear regarding the 'slowing down/doubling of the interval' between failed attempts' :confused: and too lazy to test;)

EDIT: Probably is 35 mins 35seconds?

Last edited: May 21, 2019