What's new

Any simple way to have a VPN client not stop trying to connect?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kck

Occasional Visitor
I run a pair of AC88U with 384.10 that maintain a "permanent" VPN connection between their respective LANs using OpenVPN in the router. For the most part this work great. However, on occasion if one of the respective ISPs has a somewhat prolonged outage (over an hour?) as one of mine did last night, the client side of the VPN gives up trying to reconnect. This requires then manual intervention to turn the client back on. Is there some setting I haven't found or other easy trick that would keep the client attempting to connect, even at some slower rate, once it decides that the other end seems "permanently" down?

Thanks.

I run a pair of AC88U with 384.10 that maintain a "permanent" VPN connection between their respective LANs using OpenVPN in the router. For the most part this work great. However, on occasion if one of the respective ISPs has a somewhat prolonged outage (over an hour?) as one of mine did last night, the client side of the VPN gives up trying to reconnect. This requires then manual intervention to turn the client back on. Is there some setting I haven't found or other easy trick that would keep the client attempting to connect, even at some slower rate, once it decides that the other end seems "permanently" down?

Thanks.

The default is 'connect-retry-max 15'

upload_2019-5-21_17-30-17.png

So you will need a Wiki postconf script to remove 'connect-retry-max 15' from the VPN Client's config.

Reactions: kck
Duh (slapping myself on the side of the head)! Thanks - didn't think to look at the OpenVPN man since for some reason I was fixated on it as a Merlin interface thing.

Duh (slapping myself on the side of the head)! Thanks - didn't think to look at the OpenVPN man since for some reason I was fixated on it as a Merlin interface thing.

Ahh, but the OpenVPN 2.4 man (to me) still isn't 100% clear regarding the 'slowing down/doubling of the interval' between failed attempts' :confused: and too lazy to test;)

EDIT: Probably is 35 mins 35seconds?

Last edited: