What's new

Any way to actually kick a connected client through Merlin's firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Framerate

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

so I've got a RT-AC66U router with Merlin's firmware installed. The version is 3.0.0.4.374.34_0. I've had it installed for quite a while now. I'm no network expert, but I can grasp at least 90% of the settings and features in a router. There's one thing I'm wondering, is it possible to boot a client from my network through the router? A simple "Disconnect" button or something. I don't want to start blacklisting, whitelisting, or denying them their renew. I just wonder what is the simplest way of booting someone from the network?

Also, since I'm using a year old firmware, perhaps the latest one contains such features?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

If you don't blacklist and just kick the device, it will be able to reconnect ... I don't get your point ?

If you don't blacklist and just kick the device, it will be able to reconnect ... I don't get your point ?
You don't get it?

That there's no easy way of kicking them. How would you go about kicking them instantly, before blacklisting them. How one would actually kick an already connected client, before blocking it?

Last edited:
Also you really should consider updating your firmware to something newer either Stock, Merlin or Johns fork I'm sure your network would at least be more secure.

I really don't mind security issues, as I've never had such problems before. I'm just wondering if its possible to forcibly disconnect an already connected client, without going through a lot of shirt to do it

I really don't mind security issues, as I've never had such problems before. I'm just wondering if its possible to forcibly disconnect an already connected client, without going through a lot of shirt to do it

Not really short of changing the network key but that would kick everyone at the same time. One way you could try is put the devices you might want to kick on either 2.4 or 5 ghz then you could simply shut that radio down for that band and they would be as you say Kicked until you enabled it again.

You could use parental control. Clients added to parental control are denied by default.

I had an Linksys WRT-54GL before getting my Asus, and they had a simple and easy disconnect button. This was on stock firmware. Isn't it possible for someone to that makes custom firmware to enable such features?

I had an Linksys WRT-54GL before getting my Asus, and they had a simple and easy disconnect button. This was on stock firmware. Isn't it possible for someone to that makes custom firmware to enable such features?

Just having a button to disconnect a client won't do much if there isn't also a separate mechanism to prevent it from immediately reconnect, by blocking it. So no, it's not as simple as just sending a deassoc request to the wireless driver unfortunately.

Ok, how do I get them out of the network, besides using a password or MAC-filter? What would you guys do? Maybe I'm just wondering if there are other ways og booting someone from the network

Ok, how do I get them out of the network, besides using a password or MAC-filter? What would you guys do? Maybe I'm just wondering if there are other ways og booting someone from the network

Changing the WPA2 password is the only way to effectively block someone. Even a MAC filter can easily be worked around by spoofing a different MAC.

Ok, I think I see the misunderstanding here. I'm not trying to effectively block someone from the network. WPA2 with a disabled VPN should do that trick. I just want to disconnect someone immediately, like I did on my old Linksys router. Just a simpel disconnect button. I don't care if they can reconnect 5 seconds later. Either way, I'll go ahead and upgrade the firmware to the latest one. Thanks for the answers so far.

Ok, for now, there is no DISCONNECT button or whatever you want to call it, we told you what you can do with this firmware, I know it's not what you want but you can't do what you want to do. It's like asking Honda to go 200 mp/h with a Civic even if I tell then that I was able to do it with my Ferrari ... Even RMerlin told you want you can do and he is the make of this firmware.

Why do you need a disconnect button if it's not effective? Client devices, as RMerlin said before, has reconnect function by default, so if you just kick some client, it can reconnect even faster than your WebUI refreshes after kicking.

Looks like you want to troll 'invaders' by kicking them manually every 10 seconds, but that's weird.

Very effective way to protect your network without getting much network knowledge, setting WPA2 key or MAC-filtering - is to go and physically crash invader's device (or invader)

Ok, I think I see the misunderstanding here. I'm not trying to effectively block someone from the network. WPA2 with a disabled VPN should do that trick. I just want to disconnect someone immediately, like I did on my old Linksys router. Just a simpel disconnect button. I don't care if they can reconnect 5 seconds later. Either way, I'll go ahead and upgrade the firmware to the latest one. Thanks for the answers so far.
I am trying to find a scenario in which you merely want to kick someone without being concerned that he will immediately reconnect within seconds... A full reboot or disabling of the wireless radio would do the trick though

I am trying to find a scenario in which you merely want to kick someone without being concerned that he will immediately reconnect within seconds... A full reboot or disabling of the wireless radio would do the trick though

Oh maybe to induce lag to gain some type of advantage in networked or online gaming....

If the OP merely wants to cut off a connected client from the internet there is a toggle switch for that in the ASUS Router App.

I got nothing for a full disconnect.

Just update your firmware and you can boot any client off the internet with a flick of your thumb on your smartphone with the Asus Router App.

Hi guys,

so I've got a RT-AC66U router with Merlin's firmware installed. The version is 3.0.0.4.374.34_0. I've had it installed for quite a while now. I'm no network expert, but I can grasp at least 90% of the settings and features in a router. There's one thing I'm wondering, is it possible to boot a client from my network through the router? A simple "Disconnect" button or something. I don't want to start blacklisting, whitelisting, or denying them their renew. I just wonder what is the simplest way of booting someone from the network?

Also, since I'm using a year old firmware, perhaps the latest one contains such features?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Got to AIprotection/Parenteral Controls/Time Schedule.

Enable it.

Add in the network client you wish to control.

Now you can simply tap a time block when you wish to allow a connected wiFi client to access.

*Note that clients have no access at all until you grant specific time blocks.

Once you have done this it is simple to go back to the Parenteral Controls screen to grant/deny access by time block for specified clients.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!