What's new

Any way to edit DHCP and MAC entries in-place?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tbessie

Regular Contributor
Hi all...

I noticed that, although Merlin adds the ability to name a MAC or DHCP assignment (something I am floored that Asus left out), I noticed that entries seem to be write-once affairs - you can't edit them after created, but must remove then re-add them if you want to modify them.

Is this the case, or is there a way to edit an entry in-place?

If not, is this a feature that might be added? It would be wonderful! :)

- Tim

PS If this is not doable in the GUI, perhaps there is a way to do this by SSH'ing to the device and editing a text file?

Implementing any in-place editing with the current webui design is quite difficult, and would require rewriting large parts of the GUI (which would then make it a headache merging any new Asus code on top of it).

I took a shot at it a few months ago, and I gave up due to all those issues that would arise. So, unlikely to happen at this time, unless Asus implements it, sorry.

dhcp_staticlist is an nvram value that can be edited through the command line, but it's not that simple.

Code:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="your edited list"
nvram commit

It's not just a text file that can be edirectly edited sadly.

Thanks much for the very complete answer! I understand the annoyances of modifying GUIs that don't account for such changes (I'm a software developer myself). I still can't understand why, for a top-of-the-line router, Asus would leave something like this out - they must be dummies as far as knowing what their customers want (or it's only strange people like us that want things like that).

Looks like I'll just remove/re-add when I need to then.

Since I have a large number of MAC filters (however their usefulness) and DHCP assignments in my home network, any time I need to factory-reset a router is a big pain in the neck, since I have to re-enter all those values. A firmware that would allow me to upload/download these lists as text files in a separate step would be a godsend - haven't seen anything like that, though.

It's almost been enough to make me want to buy a different brand - DLink, Netgear and Linksys have had DHCP/MAC entry name associations for a long time now. *sigh*

Anyway, thanks again for your work and your suggestions!

- Tim

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!