What's new

any way to force a client to use a specific ssid ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

consorts

i have multiple 2.4 and 5.0 ssid's each with their own name and password.
my clients know the passwords for most of them
i won't change the passwords nor make the clients "forget" the other ssid's.

how can i force each client (i know the mac so i can assign a specific lan ip)
to use a designated ssid every time their phones are near my wifi router by
restricting their internet/intranet access if they connect to the wrong ssid.

The only way you might be able to do that is to create MAC filter lists for every SSID. That way you could stop a device from associating with particular SSIDs. But the router can't "force" a client to associate with a different SSID, that's up to the client.

how can i force each client to use a designated ssid every time their phones are near my wifi router by restricting their internet/intranet access if they connect to the wrong ssid.
Restricting their inter/intranet access has no bearing on what SSID the clients decide to connect to.

Some devices cannot automatically steer to a specific radio beacon without extra software or MDM (Mobile Device Management).

i have multiple 2.4 and 5.0 ssid's each with their own name and password.
my clients know the passwords for most of them

how can i force each client (i know the mac so i can assign a specific lan ip)
to use a designated ssid every time their phones are near my wifi router by
restricting their internet/intranet access if they connect to the wrong ssid.

Most devices have an "Auto-Join" setting or "Connect Automatically" in the case of windows machines. Simply disable this for the SSID's you don't want to connect to.

just posting a follow up. i stopped using mac filtering after a day because it made the router lock up. i don't know why, i don't even care anymore, i just post this as a warning to others considering it after reading this thread. i'll post these grabs in case anyone here cares to pursue this further, but i don't have time now to troubleshoot this, i'd rather just yell at my family to stay off the f'ing 2.4 radio :mad: it's a low tech solution, but it works...

V53GypG.jpg

the catch-22 is; when these newer phone use my 2.4ghz channel 11(fixed) wifi, they generate those "acsd" errors and eventually the 2.4ghz radio locks up, which is why i'm trying to keep these newer phones off that ssid to force them to use 5.0ghz 161(fixed) which has no issues at all. but, if i use mac filter to force them, i get those "rc_service" errors which then locks up all wifi completly (wired lan continues to work). i just don't have time to torment my family going into the holidays to figure this out, so mac.filtering solutions will have to wait for now. read my signature if you are curious what i'm using.

acsd is related to automatic channel selection. Setting a fixed channel should prevent these from occurring.

Also make sure you only use 20 MHz on the 2.4 GHz band. Using 20/40 or 40 may cause downgrades to occur.

Well, first you created the issue, then you refuse the simple solution to solve the issue and look for unnecessary workarounds. I don’t understand the point. All my family’s devices are connected to where I want them to be connected to. Everyone is happy, no yelling is needed.

only use 20 MHz on the 2.4 GHz band.

thanks for taking the time to point this out.

after i changed to 20(11) from 20/40(11) my issues did in fact diminish.
however when i also used mac filter, i could not login to the router a day later.

since now my 3 new phones can behave while on the 20(11) only 2.4ghz radio
i no longer need to enable mac filter, so i can now stop yelling at my family :p

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!