What's new

Any Way To Run Pi-hole On Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John DeLuca

Regular Contributor
Hello I was just wondering if there was a practical way to run pihole on merlin? I do have an Odroid XU4 i usually use for this purpose but curiosity got the better of me and I figured I would ask lol.

I would suggest looking into Diversion, it is available for easy installation through the amtm menu: though it is not exactly the same thing, it largely has the same functionality (ad-blocking).

ops, read that wrong.

deleted

Last edited:
Hello I was just wondering if there was a practical way to run pihole on merlin?
If one searches the site... ;-)
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/installing-pihole-directly-on-asus-router.57262/

Edit add: How "practical" it is depends on how one defines "practical". Personally spending $5 on a Pi Zero W with a spare micro SD card laying around to run Pi-Hole and Unbound and power it via the router's USB2 port seems like a much more "practical" way to run Pi-Hole than trying to shoe horn it into an Asus router. But that's me. Shrugs. YMMV and all that.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/installing-pihole-directly-on-asus-router.57262/

Edit add: How "practical" it is depends on how one defines "practical". Personally spending $5 on a Pi Zero W with a spare micro SD card laying around to run Pi-Hole and Unbound and power it via the router's USB2 port seems like a much more "practical" way to run Pi-Hole than trying to shoe horn it into an Asus router. But that's me. Shrugs. YMMV and all that.
totally agree.

Other options include running a very lightweight VirtualBox VM (I use Ubuntu with 1 core, 1GB ram and 20GB HDD space). :)

Even if the pi is not powered by the routers usb, it is still more practical. Pi- hole keeps getting better and better with each version. Adguard home works pretty well too.

Even if the pi is not powered by the routers usb, it is still more practical. Pi- hole keeps getting better and better with each version. Adguard home works pretty well too.
My personal flavor of choice is Adguard home. It is very similar in capability with a few built in enhancements such as DOH+DNSSEC integration.
Both platforms continue to enable more features.
Neither seems like the preferred dhcp server of choice for the LAN but either can do it if all you want is a no frills dhcp server.

In my use case, I run it as a docker in unraid and have it also working on an OpenWRT device.
No extra hardware needed and my device is a protectli with plenty of resources to support the minimal overhead.

My personal flavor of choice is Adguard home. It is very similar in capability with a few built in enhancements such as DOH+DNSSEC integration.
Both platforms continue to enable more features.
Neither seems like the preferred dhcp server of choice for the LAN but either can do it if all you want is a no frills dhcp server.

In my use case, I run it as a docker in unraid and have it also working on an OpenWRT device.
No extra hardware needed and my device is a protectli with plenty of resources to support the minimal overhead.
I agree, I run adguardhome on a pi, and it's easier to configure than pihole. plus it has the ability to force safe mode searchs and block questionable sites for minors with ease. I use DHCP from the router and under lan settings on the router set the IP of the adguard server to it. Any devices I don't want using it I set the DNS server manually. I also use DNS filter on the router to stop the kids changing DNS server to circumvent. Not that they would know how to do that yet.