What's new

Anybody using a cloud service to backup their QNAP NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
If so, what service are you using?

I've decided it's time to explore off-site backup - something that wouldn't get wiped out in the event we had a horrible disaster here (our house was nearly hit by a tornado in the summer of 2013).

Most of the stuff I've looked at so far is pretty expensive.

I've decided it's time to explore off-site backup - something that wouldn't get wiped out in the event we had a horrible disaster here (our house was nearly hit by a tornado in the summer of 2013).
I backup my 6-bay NAS (36 TB gross capacity) to a 4-bay USB RAID enclosure and carry it offsite - of course only the 6 TB of data which is really important for me!

I have not yet seen an effort-able (for >=6 TB) and secure enough (e.g. AES265 encryption) cloud solution for backup purposes! :eek:
On top my internet speed is only 15 MBit upwards and would need quite long to sync data (e.g. daily backups of my PCs).

Conclusion: Cloud backup is not yet an option for me! :rolleyes:

I've got Iron Mountain for some important files left over from my consultancy... but they're pretty spendy (more for Corp/Enterprise stuff, not home users)

Have you looked at Amazon's offerings - for Prime customers, they have a pretty interesting package there, and it's not Glacier..

I backup my 6-bay NAS (36 TB gross capacity) to a 4-bay USB RAID enclosure and carry it offsite - of course only the 6 TB of data which is really important for me!

I have not yet seen an effort-able (for >=6 TB) and secure enough (e.g. AES265 encryption) cloud solution for backup purposes! :eek:
On top my internet speed is only 15 MBit upwards and would need quite long to sync data (e.g. daily backups of my PCs).

Conclusion: Cloud backup is not yet an option for me! :rolleyes:

I only have about 250GB of data to be backed up right now, but event that would be somewhat prohibitive based on some of the pricing plans out there. I use the same backup strategy you do (backing up to an external box and carrying it offsite) but I'm not protected when I'm HERE. If I had a catastrophic fire, or a tornado ripped through my entire property (as almost happened two years ago) while I'm actually in my house, I could lose everything.

I only do differential backups daily, so I'd only have the massive data dumps every couple of weeks.

I've got Iron Mountain for some important files left over from my consultancy... but they're pretty spendy (more for Corp/Enterprise stuff, not home users)

Have you looked at Amazon's offerings - for Prime customers, they have a pretty interesting package there, and it's not Glacier..

I'm a prime member and that was the first place I looked. Unfortunately, I can't find any information on anything other than AWS/Glacier, which is certainly much more than I need. Any ideas of where I might look?

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear QNAP supports Amazon Cloud Drive right now. S3/Glacier - yes. Cloud Drive - no.

That's a fairly general statement that's not true for everyone in every scenario. Not really helpful.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear QNAP supports Amazon Cloud Drive right now. S3/Glacier - yes. Cloud Drive - no.

on X86 it does - in the App Center...

qts_amzn_cloud_drive.png

That's a fairly general statement that's not true for everyone in every scenario. Not really helpful.
Well, many people don't know the difference between uplink and downlink speeeds in DSL/DOCSIS.

Best you can do is pay for a bulk ingest where you mail them a hard drive for the initial data load.
Some loan a hard drive for free.

Backblaze has the option where you can do a full backup on a local disk, and then ship it to them... and then sync incremental backups from there...

Well, many people don't know the difference between uplink and downlink speeeds in DSL/DOCSIS.

Best you can do is pay for a bulk ingest where you mail them a hard drive for the initial data load.
Some loan a hard drive for free.

I don't have that much data I want to backup in the cloud. It would all fit on one DVD.

Try out CloudBerry Backup for QNAP. It supports S3, Azure, notifications and more. And it's free for personal use -http://www.cloudberrylab.com/backup-qnap.aspx

It looks like all they're doing is providing a front end. The QNAP has software that interfaces with S3, Azure, etc. directly. Why would I need a broker, even if it's free?

To make it clear, I'm looking for affordable STORAGE - aka ElephantDrive, iDrive, S3/Glacier. The problem is that most of those solutions are pretty expensive.

For me, Amazon Cloud Drive is only $60 a year for unlimited storage. However, QNAP doesn't support Amazon Cloud Drive as a backup destination right now.

Yeah, that allows you to browse and manipulate Amazon Cloud Drive files via File Station. It doesn't enable it as a backup destination though. In other words, it allows for manual backups but doesn't yet enable automatic backups. I'm going to install it and start playing with it anyway.

Apparently, they released an app called Hybrid Backup Sync in QTS 4.2 but then recalled it because it wasn't stable.

You might want to check out the QTS 4.2.1 Beta and see what changes it may offer you too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!