What's new

Anyone can share best settings for AX-86U with latest factory firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

homeofwind

Regular Contributor
I am new to the router settings and confused with some jargons (still learning). Just updated to factory firmware 3.0.0.4.386_41535. I am sure we get experts here with settings to achieve best performance of the great router. Screenshotscan be really helpful:) (general setting and professional setting for 2.4g and 5g bands). Thank you!

New M&M 2020

Change/adjust as many settings as stock firmware will allow you as suggested above. That is where I would start.

New M&M 2020

Change/adjust as many settings as stock firmware will allow you as suggested above. That is where I would sta

Thank you!
I did as you listed but I am not sure if i changed other default settings or not as I played with them when I first got it:(. I attach the shots and appreciate if you can see if there is anything I need to adjust.

Thank you again.
chrome_7tc7RUIfCT.png
chrome_55PzIy0I8k.png
chrome_55PzIy0I8k.png
chrome_dSrrzxoeOQ.png
chrome_jqyvvY6kRS.png
chrome_xjCRAith3a.png

Sorry, I'm going blind trying to read these screenshots. :)

It is faster to just reset the router again. And there will be no questions about enabled, disabled settings further complicating any further needed troubleshooting.

It is faster to just reset the router again. And there will be no questions about enabled, disabled settings further complicating any further needed troubleshooting.
okay. I assume resetting it won't override those settings I did per your list. Right?

New M&M 2020

Change/adjust as many settings as stock firmware will allow you as suggested above. That is where I would start.

Hi L&LD, as per your linked reply, is it absolutely essential to separate 2.4Hz and 5Hz and not leave it on smart connect? I have about 40+ devices connected to my AmplifyHD which I'll replace with AX-86U. Will I have better router performance if I leave all IoT devices on 2.4Hz and out smartphones, TV, MacBook and Xbox console on 5Hz? I'm trying to understand why not leave smart connect on.

Also it would be alot easier for me to use same SSID and WEP2 password so all devices will reconnect automatically. Should I change them too according to your recommendation?

Thanks

Last edited:
FULL RESET GOALS:
Doing a full reset to factory defaults, including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' check box and (before or afterward) also checking the box to 'Format the JFFS partition on next reboot...' (and then hitting 'Apply' at the bottom of that page, then rebooting the router 3 times in the next 10 to 15 minutes) will put the router, its firmware, and its variable to a good/known state. This gives the router the best chance of seeing and (correctly) using, its expected defaults (for that firmware version). Done correctly, nothing will (or at least 'should') be carried over at this point. The posts where more than one reset, more than one flashing of the firmware, and more than one Nuclear Reset was necessary are proof enough for me that this is (unfortunately) a necessary step to do today, but one well worth doing if you want a stable, reliable network and one with the highest performance too (in that order).

New SSID:
Why a new SSID? https://www.snbforums.com/threads/i...-ax88u-rt-ac86u-node.60551/page-2#post-532915

Sure, using the same SSID's and same passwords and using features like SmartConnect is easier. I don't go for easy though, I go for best practices that have worked for me and my customers for almost 7 years now.

First, SmartConnect isn't. Too many issues (please use search to read about) and not enough benefits. Too many dependencies on the specific devices used, and with the devices to router interactions. Also, assuming that a feature that seems to work on a different manufacturer's equipment will work on the new one you wish to test/try properly, is not a good way to start the test.

If you were moving from an 'N' class to an 'N' class router, or from an 'AC' class to an 'AC' class router, or from an 'AX' class to an 'AX' class router, using the same SSID's may not be an issue. But going from an 'AC' class to an 'AX' class router from different manufacturers is enough for me to not want that wrench thrown into my testing gears.

And even if you were moving from just the same class to same class Wi-Fi, and even further assuming that the SSID's and passwords adhered to the suggested limitation regarding alphanumeric length and no special character restrictions, there is still no guarantee that the two manufacturers (or even within a model line, same manufacturer, but two different models) would have the same expectations either.

It is simpler to just use new SSID's. At least to test with. If you are averse to keeping the old SSIDs in play, change them after your testing is complete (with a smaller subset of your client devices connected). If any issues arise; you'll know just where to start looking. (And is therefore why you change settings/options and features slowly when setting up a new router... you're testing as you go and testing, takes time, to do it right).

There is nothing stopping anyone from not following the suggestions as outlined in my posts. However, ignoring the 'best practices' I have picked up over the years (mostly) from this forum and my own experience is done at your own risk to router/network stability, reliability, and its performance.

The one thing I know about Asus routers after all this time. They are either properly set up or they're not. When you're doing an 'in-between' reset/setup (i.e. picking which steps you'll do), you're only rolling the dice that in your current networking/Wi-Fi environment, with your current client devices, and with your expectations/assumptions, things will work.

just did the reset and redid the settings per the list. i assume Rmerlin firmware can use the same settings? any suggestion on channels for Canada? do you guys change regions in Rmerlin, such as Australia?

New SSID:
Why a new SSID? https://www.snbforums.com/threads/i...-ax88u-rt-ac86u-node.60551/page-2#post-532915

Sure, using the same SSID's and same passwords and using features like SmartConnect is easier. I don't go for easy though, I go for best practices that have worked for me and my customers for almost 7 years now.

First, SmartConnect isn't. Too many issues (please use search to read about) and not enough benefits. Too many dependencies on the specific devices used, and with the devices to router interactions. Also, assuming that a feature that seems to work on a different manufacturer's equipment will work on the new one you wish to test/try properly, is not a good way to start the test.

If you were moving from an 'N' class to an 'N' class router, or from an 'AC' class to an 'AC' class router, or from an 'AX' class to an 'AX' class router, using the same SSID's may not be an issue. But going from an 'AC' class to an 'AX' class router from different manufacturers is enough for me to not want that wrench thrown into my testing gears.

And even if you were moving from just the same class to same class Wi-Fi, and even further assuming that the SSID's and passwords adhered to the suggested limitation regarding alphanumeric length and no special character restrictions, there is still no guarantee that the two manufacturers (or even within a model line, same manufacturer, but two different models) would have the same expectations either.

It is simpler to just use new SSID's. At least to test with. If you are averse to keeping the old SSIDs in play, change them after your testing is complete (with a smaller subset of your client devices connected). If any issues arise; you'll know just where to start looking. (And is therefore why you change settings/options and features slowly when setting up a new router... you're testing as you go and testing, takes time, to do it right).

There is nothing stopping anyone from not following the suggestions as outlined in my posts. However, ignoring the 'best practices' I have picked up over the years (mostly) from this forum and my own experience is done at your own risk to router/network stability, reliability, and its performance.

The one thing I know about Asus routers after all this time. They are either properly set up or they're not. When you're doing an 'in-between' reset/setup (i.e. picking which steps you'll do), you're only rolling the dice that in your current networking/Wi-Fi environment, with your current client devices, and with your expectations/assumptions, things will work.

Thanks for detailed reply regarding my new SSID question which is all clear. Assuming I will start using my new Asus RT-AX86U with latest Asus firmware, will appreciate your comments regarding few more questions:

1. Is my thought process correct to connect all IoT, legacy devices and devices not requiring high internet speed to 2.4Hz and Netflix 4k TVs, Apple TVs, Xbox console, smartphones, tablets and notebooks to 5Hz? And only either add to 2.4Hz or 5Hz but not record both?

2. I need to be able to keep playing Xbox games even if few TVs are pulling 4k for Netflix and even a MacBook downloads torrents. Is it a good idea to use Asuses adaptive QoS?

3. in your setup recommendations you mention:

"Use (only) 16-character passwords with the same characteristics."

what does it mean, same characteristics for password? Does it mean passwords for 2.4Hz and 5Hz must be the same?

4. You also mentioned: "Use (only) 8-character alphanumeric SSID's." Does it mean SSID should be upto 8 characters or it would be exactly 8 characters? Different for 2.4Hz and 5Hz of course.

5. Do you recommend scheduling reboot of RT-AX86U? If yes how frequent?

6. Do you recommend scheduling reboot of ISP modem? If yes how frequent?

Thanks.

Last edited:
L&LD might have different specific recommendations but they are great and geared towards ensuring maximum reliability. You will want to review his response to your questions. Meanwhile these are my personal preferences...

1) Yes. That is how I set up my Wifi device connections.

2) I don't use QoS at all. I leave it as default or OFF.
... Why? the newer routers automatically detect and optimize the data throughput very well. Configuring QoS is an option available but no longer necessary with newer Asus AX routers even for online gamers. Try the new router without enabling it first. You can experiment with it in the future if you choose. Some users still like to customize those settings.

3) My guess about the recommendation for using 16 characters is for enhanced security. Using the same characteristics would make them easier to remember when you configure the clients. The passwords for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz don't have to be the same but once again it is much easier to remember them if they are.

4) My guess for this recommendation is that 8 characters is the optimal number of characters. You could go with less but more than eight for SSID names is not needed and simply adds complexity to the Wifi connection sequences. Use only alpha numeric names... in other words only use combinations of letters and numbers without spaces or unique symbols. This simplifies the connection sequences and ensures compatibility with legacy Wifi devices and equipment.

5) It is generally not necessary to schedule a reboot of the AX86U. I would recommend not scheduling them unless you have a specific reason to. It's a very stable router. You can manually reboot it as needed before or after firmware upgrades (be careful... not during upgrades). I sometimes will do manual router reboots when setting up new Wifi clients such as a new Wifi printer or after rebooting the ISP's modem but it's more out of habit than a necessity.

6) Rebooting the ISP modem is usually done only if you are having internet connection issues or at the request of your ISP's tech support. Scheduling it is usually not necessary. You can manually reboot the ISP modem once or twice a year or every few months if it want but it's generally not needed unless you have a specific reason to do so. You can manually reboot the router after you reboot the modem.

These are only my suggestions that work for me. I look forward to reading L&LDs specific responses to your questions since much of that advice will be geared towards ensuring stability and reliability for your new router.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input SoCalReviews. Will also appreciate reply from L&LD.

L&LD, in your recommendations you mention to test 5Hz first on channel 161. I live near the airport and can't use 160Hz or DFS channels to avoid disconnections. Should I still try 161 first?

Should I also scan for least crowded channels using WiFi Analyzer Android app? It's the best option I have.

@Teppka, sorry for my late response!

1. Correct.

2. Whether or not to use QoS (any implementation) depends on your ISP speeds. If you're at 1Gbps up/down symmetrical then QoS is usually unnecessary. On an asymmetrical ISP connection, there may be tradeoffs that you may want to make for a more robust and stable connection vs. just pure 'peak' speeds. But know that turning on QoS is very CPU intensive and your max speeds may suffer on current routers.

3. & 4. The characteristics for username, SSID's, and passwords that I use/recommend are:
  • 8 Characters (exactly) for the username and the SSID's used on a current, RMerlin supported, router.
    • These should not be the same. ;)
    • Neither should the 2.4GHz band have the same SSID as the 5GHz band (and soon the 6GHz band too, neither).
  • 16 Characters (exactly) for the passwords for the main router and the SSID's.
    • These may or may not be the same (but should still be different from the username and SSID's above).
  • All the 'Characters' above should:
    • Begin with a letter and be only Alphanumeric characters.
    • Contain no spaces, underlines, dashes, quotes, punctuation, or other 'special' or 'extended' characters.
    • Contain no smiley faces or other emoticons.
5. No. If you have to reboot your router/network infrastructure on a regular basis, that is a sign of either a misconfiguration and/or hardware issues to me.

6. No. If you're regularly rebooting the ISP's modem, then you should contact the ISP and get the faulty equipment replaced. (It will die on you, eventually, if you don't).

The above is what I've come to use as 'best practices'. There have been a few reports of issues with short SSID's, SSID's with special characters, spaces, smiley faces, etc. and I want to avoid that drama (and it's so easy to do).

The sixteen characters for the main router's (ssh/GUI) password is a hard limit within Asus' code. Mimicking the password length for the SSID's is still giving more than enough security, today.

Many thanks for reply and no prob with delays. I've just received my Asus RT-AX86U, right on time for setup :)

My fiber speed is 200/10 and I have 4x 4k TVs with my kids pretty much permanently on at least 2x 4k Netflix streams + sometimes cellphone on 1080p YouTube stream. I do torrents sometimes, which is the most intensive usage of data of course, but very seldom. And all I need from QoS is my Xbox Series X wirelessly connected (unfortunately not yet possible for wired) to always have full priority. Do you recommend using Asuses adaptive QoS in my case?

Also do you recommend to bind IP to Mac for all wireless and wired connections?

Also there is a "adopt for Xbox" heckbox in wireless settings. Should I enable it? As far as I know these were made for legacy Xbox consoles (360) and irrelevant for Xbox Series X. Not sure if you are aware of other settings I should use for console gaming in this router.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I would follow the suggestions in post 2, above. Here it is: New M&M 2020

If the network still needs tweaks to better meet your expectations, I would follow the amtm Step-by-Step Guide to properly format a USB drive and get Entware, a swap file, and at least FlexQoS installed. Set to 'Gaming'. (Just ignore the part where it says to install amtm, it is already installed on RMerlin 384.15_0 and later).

amtm Step-by-Step https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

I don't think there will be much more than this (except for the other recommended scripts of course. See my signature below for what I use).

I must have forgot to mention it, I'm not on Merlin yet. Using latest Asuswrt.
I'm setting router up acc to your M&M 2020 where you mention:

• In the LAN, LAN IP tab set the Domain Name for your network.
    • With an 8-character limit, same characteristics as above.
    • Make sure you hit Apply before moving away from this page.
Sorry I'm simply not aware what/why domain name is to be set in LAN settings.
Could you elaborate? Is it OK if I will leave it blank or should I set the domain name? If yes what domain name am I to set?
I don't use VPS/DDNS at this moment.

Further to your recommendation testing 161 channel first for 5Hz, unfortunately I don't have one available in WiFi menu (I'm in Turkey). Also disabled DFS channels (close to the airport)
The range I have for 5Hz is 36 to 140. I've set my router for channel 36 which looks not crowded on WiFI Analyzer and also not a DFS channel. Am I following right direction?

Others can better tell you the 'why' but setting a domain name is now a recommended (best practice) step now from the reading I've done here. :)

Yes, the guide(s) are there to guide you. The actual settings will depend on your specific hardware, firmware, environment, and country requirements.

I wouldn't worry about what an 'app' shows for 'best control channel'. I would test them all and keep good notes as you test. The issue with 'apps' is that they can't take into account non-Wi-Fi sources of interference, and there are many of those around.

Looks like you're getting your network sorted out very well!

Could you direct me to instructions how to test wifi channels? Unfortunately I'm not really an experienced enthusiast :)

Not that hard, just takes time and patience. :)

See the link in my signature for Control Channel Setup (1 & 2).

Thanks! I've set my router up and even though I really hoped one will be enough, upstairs in farthest room 5Hz reception is almost none existant, only 2.4Hz provides some signal. Since I disabled Smart Connect devices will not roam through the frequencies.

If I add both 5Hz and 2.4Hz networks to devices that I use in those two rooms (smartphones, tablets), I wander if mobile devices would be able to choose better network?

Thanks