What's new

Anyone have any experience of the RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

radicaldoc

New Around Here
i have just bought a new RT-AX88U and boy is it giving me problems my old router was the predecessor of this the RT AC88U. which was pretty straight forward set up and away few bit here and there to change but all good. this one has been a bit of a nightmare. plugged everything in from my old one fired up on to the web page it reckons no internet both first and secondary wan have no connection and yet i have internet. the other big problem for me is i run a mobile phone as a tethered internet connection as well when i plug in the usb cable it recognises it and i turn it on to thethered it will connect sometimes but the it dumps the usb connection. out the blue doesn´t even show on the router LED that it´s connected. i have to unplug usb cable and plug it in again for it to see it again. yet the phone knows it´s connected!!! i don´t know where to go from here i have updated firmware it has been rebooted i don´t know how many times but it is still the same anyone know how i can fix it before it goes back and i go back to the trusty RT AC88U i really dont want to as i feel this could be a much better router... Oh and one other thing the red light stays on even when there is a connection help please!!!!

i have just bought a new RT-AX88U and boy is it giving me problems my old router was the predecessor of this the RT AC88U. which was pretty straight forward set up and away few bit here and there to change but all good. this one has been a bit of a nightmare. plugged everything in from my old one fired up on to the web page it reckons no internet both first and secondary wan have no connection and yet i have internet. the other big problem for me is i run a mobile phone as a tethered internet connection as well when i plug in the usb cable it recognises it and i turn it on to thethered it will connect sometimes but the it dumps the usb connection. out the blue doesn´t even show on the router LED that it´s connected. i have to unplug usb cable and plug it in again for it to see it again. yet the phone knows it´s connected!!! i don´t know where to go from here i have updated firmware it has been rebooted i don´t know how many times but it is still the same anyone know how i can fix it before it goes back and i go back to the trusty RT AC88U i really dont want to as i feel this could be a much better router... Oh and one other thing the red light stays on even when there is a connection help please!!!!
I’ve got an ax88u but i flashed Merlin on it first thing and ran through the m&m setup in @L&LD signature then tweaked from there. I’m not doing anything with tethered connection so I’m not much help there. Haven’t had any issues though.

I’ve got an ax88u but i flashed Merlin on it first thing and ran through the m&m setup in @L&LD signature then tweaked from there. I’m not doing anything with tethered connection so I’m not much help there. Haven’t had any issues though.
yea i am running ok now except if i want to go over to USB i have to take it out to get it too see it and on the GUI if it´s on my Ethernet connection the red light is on and it shows as nothing connected even though the internet is working.....real pain in the butt- by the way what is merlin??? is it any better than standard and will it invalidate warranty??

No, it won't affect your warranty. :)

Some features first debuted in Asuswrt-Merlin have since been integrated/enabled in the official firmware:

Be sure to check the heading in quotes above after clicking on the first link.

Try setting the DNS Servers manually to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 and then hitting 'Apply' at the bottom of the page and then rebooting.

This is all I needed to do to get rid of the 'Internet is not connected' bug.

If you do decide to flash RMerlin firmware, be sure to see the link in my signature below for the M&M Config and ideally the Nuclear Reset guides to ensure you have a stable and reliable router and network afterward.

Thanks for the help i may try the Merlin i am not normally a fiddler although it looks like it may be complicated for me not having done anything like this.. Does it retain the original GUI ???
Sorry and finally will going to Merlin cure the USB and not connected problems??

I changed the DNS hopefully the right one...no change still same
rebooted still the same

Attachments

• pic1.PNG
    pic1.PNG
    260.4 KB · Views: 274
  • pic2.PNG
    pic2.PNG
    256.6 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Well i upgraded the firmware to the Merlin i was hoping it would sort out the bugs but unfortunatly not i did the M&M thing where i could changed the DNS to the 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 no joy exactly as it was not change what so ever.. There is a new official firmware out maybe i should try that and hope they have fixed the bug. although not so hopefull you would think knowing this isn´t working right an a router this price they would sort it....!!

@RMerlin
Thanks for the great FW btw :)

I moved from 68U to 86U to 88U and experience 5Ghz signal disappear now and then... any log/info I could provide to help me track this?

I've got two RT-AX88U's on the go right now. The first one I got was to replace my main router in the basement (cable modem in bridge mode --> AX88U --> rest of my local network). Running Merlin of course. It's been solid since I set it up. I added another RT-AX88U on my main floor in AP mode, Ethernet connection to the main router in the basement. Flashed Merlin right off the bat but have had some odd issues with the 2.4GHz band. Overnight it just seems to die. Clients connected to the 2.4GHz band can't re-connect. The 5GHz band is fine. Very odd. Only solution is disable/renable or reboot the AP. Not quire sure what is going on as I don't see this same behaviour with my basement router. Same FW etc... I'm slowly pecking away and hoping this is just a strange config on the AP. All my IOT devices are on the 2.4Ghz band so when this happens, they all go off-line. May need to re-flash and do that minimum setup thing from the start. I did load an old config file to get all my settings back. May have been something in that process.

EDIT: I updated from 384.18 Release to 384.19_beta1 on my AX88U AP and that seems to have fixed the issue. No instability on the 2.4GHz band since then.

Last edited:
@RMerlin
Thanks for the great FW btw :)

I moved from 68U to 86U to 88U and experience 5Ghz signal disappear now and then... any log/info I could provide to help me track this?

Avoid using DFS channels.