What's new

Anyone Have Experience With These AX Consumer-Grade Routers With 10G Ports?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RTWZ80

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone had heard of or had experience with these AX/AXE routers with two 10G ports not from the usual suspects? (Asus, Netgear, QNAP, Zyxel etc.)

My recent less-than-stellar experience with the GT-AX16000s (from a 10Gbps broadband perspective) led me to return them and stick with the RT-AX89X for now.

But its also left me wondering if there were other 10G port options out there in the consumer-grade space. Not quite ready to go down the DIY or prosumer route yet.

I did a random search and there's this one from a Japanese company I-O Data:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B08HRP82S7/

This one from Japan's Buffalo:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B0B1HR4BDS/

This sketchy looking one from Taiwanese company Acelink:

And one from TP Link's domestic market focused range:

All seem to use the same Qualcomm IPQ8078 chipset as the RT-AX89X. So let me know...

Thanks.

I use a zyxel AP and a qnap NIC and both have been easy to deal with from a tech standpoint.

I don't do 10G though so my 5ge fits my needs for the speed of my raid at 400mb/s+ and the 2.5 AP.

If you're liking to do 10G wan then split the functions from the router itself. An all in one solution that performs well for each piece of the equation doesn't happen.

Buffalo use to be solid back in the day when the N standard was around.
I had a couple of their NAS units that underwhelmed and I ended up shucking the drives from the enclosures and putting them into something else because they were slow. Buffalo though has a decent price point but, that's about it. One drive died and the other is still operational though. I wouldn't bother using their network gear though as there are more reliable options at the same price point.

I use a zyxel AP and a qnap NIC and both have been easy to deal with from a tech standpoint.

I don't do 10G though so my 5ge fits my needs for the speed of my raid at 400mb/s+ and the 2.5 AP.

If you're liking to do 10G wan then split the functions from the router itself. An all in one solution that performs well for each piece of the equation doesn't happen.
By splitting the functions do you mean using the main router just for routing, VPN etc and APs to handle the Wifi?

By splitting the functions do you mean using the main router just for routing, VPN etc and APs to handle the Wifi?
Yes. Just get a wired router to manage the ISP connection and connect a switch for wired devices if you have them and an AP for the WiFi.

VPN though will get better results with a provider using wireguard instead of ovpn. With WG you can get close to line speed but ovpn gets bogged down and even with a gig line maxes out at 600mbps.

Yes. Just get a wired router to manage the ISP connection and connect a switch for wired devices if you have them and an AP for the WiFi.

VPN though will get better results with a provider using wireguard instead of ovpn. With WG you can get close to line speed but ovpn gets bogged down and even with a gig line maxes out at 600mbps.
Got it thanks. I'll disable the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz radios on the RT-AX89X and connect two GT-AXE11000s to my 10Gbe switch in AP mode through their 2.5G WAN ports and see if that improves wired speeds overall when I do turn on other functions. The RT-AX89X doesn't support Wireguard unfortunately, so I guess that's a no go on the VPN side.

Or get a router that for support WG. Doubt a pi would support 10ge but with some mods you're you might be able to cobble something together.

Otherwise put the client on each device needing VPN. I found it easier to just put it on my diy router though to filter the entire network.

Or get a router that for support WG. Doubt a pi would support 10ge but with some mods you're you might be able to cobble something together.

Otherwise put the client on each device needing VPN. I found it easier to just put it on my diy router though to filter the entire network.
Many thanks for the advice but as mentioned earlier, I'm not quite ready to go down the DIY or prosumer route at the moment because of time constraints. But still, totally agree that the process of building your own device to the exact specs you want is super satisfying...just not an option for me at the moment.

@RTWZ80

Just wanted to point it out if you indeed go beyond 1GE and want whole LAN protection. I'm sure there are appliances that work out of the box w/ WG and that higher 10GE speed but, none come to mind at the moment. It's a bit tricky to find the right devices that make it simple to implement things sometimes. WG being "new" doesn't yet have the traction / products OVPN does quite yet.

@RTWZ80

Just wanted to point it out if you indeed go beyond 1GE and want whole LAN protection. I'm sure there are appliances that work out of the box w/ WG and that higher 10GE speed but, none come to mind at the moment. It's a bit tricky to find the right devices that make it simple to implement things sometimes. WG being "new" doesn't yet have the traction / products OVPN does quite yet.
Noted on that thanks. I think Asus is gradually rolling out WG on its routers but it's pretty slow going since they announced the Beta last year. Do let me know if you think of anything in the days ahead. Appreciate all the advice you've given thus far.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!