What's new

Anyone using 802.11ax with upload/transmit greater than 195<>230Mbps?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aex.perez

No matter what I do, what setting's I've applied, using suggestion from the forums, the most I get is 2402/217 and I'm 5ft away from the AX88u with Line of sight. After replacing the AC5300 mesh nodes with AX86's I was able to set the control channel to 36 and set 160MHz bandwidth. Using WPA2/3, as well. Any guidance would be welcome...

wifi-ax.jpg
Kiler NIC.jpg

Update: playing around with NIC and Router, I got to a high of 229 and a low of 195Mbps on the Transmit. Wondering if I need to move to SmartConnect to get higher transmit rates...

Last edited:
No matter what I do, what setting's I've applied, using suggestion from the forums, the most I get is 2402/217 and I'm 5ft away from the AX88u with Line of sight. After replacing the AC5300 mesh nodes with AX86's I was able to set the control channel to 36 and set 160MHz bandwidth. Using WPA2/3, as well. Any guidance would be welcome...

View attachment 35218View attachment 35220
To go with the above, SmartConnect and setting the NIC to dual band didn't help

site-survey.jpg

30 ft. away through four walls:
Clipboard03.jpg

My transfer speed (speedtest.net) is around 900mbps, it connects at 2.5gb. Mine are AX92u's but your AX88u will offer the same performance

My control channel is 100 which is DFS. In reality, this is the only real way to get 160Mhz working, unless you live in a remote area.

My control channel is 100 which is DFS. In reality, this is the only real way to get 160Mhz working, unless you live in a remote area.
Not really. Using lower channel 36 for example, at 160 MHz allows older clients to connect to the lower 80 MHz and modern AX clients to use the full 160 MHz. Setting the 5 GHz this way still has the chance of being bounced by RADAR but using Dual Band SmartConnect will allow clients to switch to the 2.4 GHz band if RADAR bounce does happen.

Not really. Using lower channel 36 for example, at 160 MHz allows older clients to connect to the lower 80 MHz and modern AX clients to use the full 160 MHz. Setting the 5 GHz this way still has the chance of being bounced by RADAR but using Dual Band SmartConnect will allow clients to switch to the 2.4 GHz band if RADAR bounce does happen.
That's the setup I'm using. I'm getting the 160Mhz. Confident that's not the issue. Using WPA3 as well. Thinking it has to be a setting on the router, under the Professional tab maybe, that I'm missing.

That wouldn't work for me. I'm in the UK, houses are close together and here the 5Ghz band is saturated in most neighborhoods. For us, if we want 160Mhz, it's DFS or nothing.

That's the setup I'm using. I'm getting the 160Mhz. Confident that's not the issue. Using WPA3 as well. Thinking it has to be a setting on the router, under the Professional tab maybe, that I'm missing.
I have used both Asus and Merlin firmwares on my AX86U with all professional WIFI settings at default. I do turn off WPS. I do live in a development that is getting more crowded with WIFI but there are very few AX routers within range. Most of the conflicts are on 2.4 GHz with routers set to Auto select the channel. Trying to talk to the neighbors about changing their router settings is like talking to a door.

I have seen some report issues with the AX88U. For some reason it does not seem to work as well as the AX86U

I think I figured it out, it doesn't make sense but I'm not complaining

On the NIC, I went from 802.11ax to 802.11ac and while my Receive went down a bit, 2402 to 1733, the Transmit shot up from 229 to 1733 :oops:

Fixed-sort-of.jpg
only-change.jpg

I think I figured it out, it doesn't make sense but I'm not complaining

On the NIC, I went from 802.11ax to 802.11ac and while my Receive went down a bit, 2402 to 1733, the Transmit shot up from 229 to 1733 :oops:

View attachment 35231View attachment 35232
Link speed will vary depending on your distance from the router and other factors.

The most important metric (that actually impacts your performance) is your throughput. Measure this using speedtest.net

Link speed will vary depending on your distance from the router and other factors.

The most important metric (that actually impacts your performance) is your throughput. Measure this using speedtest.net
For my issue, line of sight from the router, 5ft there about, very little interference from the neighborhood and as for Speedtest (the Windows/IPhone apps as well as the FCC and Netflix's Fast.com), I average the results. Speedtest has become wildly inconsistent as of late, with the loss of some good test targets in this neck of the woods. The 2402/229 I was getting was an issue with video conferencing, where upload/transmit matters a lot. I do a lot of customer meetings/demos and the stuttering of the video/voice was a problem. That's why I went with the 1Gb symmetrical FTTH vs Cable, and the 1733/1733 works just as well. Tested it this morning on a Zoom conference and you couldn't tell I was wireless vs wired, that's a win in my book...

I also have symmetrical FTTH and my throughput when running a speed test is always around 900mb/s on wireless, even in the next room or next floor. However, the link speed varies wildly. If the device has been left idle the link transmit / receive rate starts decreasing to save power.

I believe your problem is related to your AX band not setup correctly, not your link rate. Link rate is dynamic and something that happens automatically so don't worry about it.

Using WPA3 as well.

Give WPA2 a quick try...

I know that some NIC's, when presented with WPA3 and PMF, they go into a SW mode code path vs. using the HW accelerator in the NIC...

And that can impact performance/thruput..

Give WPA2 a quick try...

I know that some NIC's, when presented with WPA3 and PMF, they go into a SW mode code path vs. using the HW accelerator in the NIC...

And that can impact performance/thruput..

Can you post any links to clarify this? I'm interested in reading more about it.

I also have symmetrical FTTH and my throughput when running a speed test is always around 900mb/s on wireless, even in the next room or next floor. However, the link speed varies wildly. If the device has been left idle the link transmit / receive rate starts decreasing to save power.

I believe your problem is related to your AX band not setup correctly, not your link rate. Link rate is dynamic and something that happens automatically so don't worry about it.
Any unique tweaks to your setup? I'm like the OP. Great download speeds (~500 Mbps), but can't get past 200-250 Mbps on uploads.

Try upgrading the drivers. If that does not fix it, replace the Killer with an Intel AX200 or AX200E.

Good luck,

Morris

Been on vacation and just getting back to experimenting more. Even though my link speeds are 1733/1733 with 802.11a 160mhz/5Ghz (as reported by the OS and the app for the NIC) my actual speed test numbers were abysmal. Yet during video conferences and streaming everything looked great. Turns out that the NIC does all sorts of traffic shaping, QoS and prioritization that were skewing the Speedtest results. Still not great as I'm line of sight, 5ft away from router with a 1Gb service. Wired gets me around 920Mbps to 947Mbps in each direction, so not perfect but good enough. I turned off Protected Management Frames and Wifi Agile Multiband based on another post but to no avail.

1628137928469.png

Next up, going back to separate SSID's, removing Smart Connect to see if I can better upload speeds than 229Mbps when the NIC is set to 802.11ax. Here's what it looks like right now, before splitting things up. Open to any recommendations that would improve upon my abysmal transmit speeds when using 802.11ax as reported by the OS and App, 229Mbps.
1628138488783.png
1628138551730.png
1628138626910.png

Hi Aex,

You post is full of errors such as posting the 2.4 Ghz settings, "1733/1733 with 802.11a 160Mhz/5Ghz". This makes it rather difficult to help you yet I'm going to make a guess that you mean you are set up for 160Mhz on 5Ghz and that your client is an 802.11 AC client. If this is true, then the first thing I'm concerned with is co-channel interference. 160Mhz sounds great yet it doubles the chances of another access point in the area being on the same set of limited channels for 80Mhz and quadruples the chance of this happening when compared to 40Mhz. Having a fast carrier (connect) speed is not the end of the story if this fast speed is shared with another access point in your vicinity. Try 80Mhz and even 40Mhz and see what works best in your environment.

Also, the devil is in the details. You must be meticulous in making your settings and taking written notes with date stamps to work out problems.

Good luck,

Morris

Hi Aex,

You post is full of errors such as posting the 2.4 Ghz settings, "1733/1733 with 802.11a 160Mhz/5Ghz". This makes it rather difficult to help you yet I'm going to make a guess that you mean you are set up for 160Mhz on 5Ghz and that your client is an 802.11 AC client. If this is true, then the first thing I'm concerned with is co-channel interference. 160Mhz sounds great yet it doubles the chances of another access point in the area being on the same set of limited channels for 80Mhz and quadruples the chance of this happening when compared to 40Mhz. Having a fast carrier (connect) speed is not the end of the story if this fast speed is shared with another access point in your vicinity. Try 80Mhz and even 40Mhz and see what works best in your environment.

Also, the devil is in the details. You must be meticulous in making your settings and taking written notes with date stamps to work out problems.

Good luck,

Morris
That's how it is now.

I built it this way to get to the 1733/1733 using 802.11ac. Going to 802.11ax it becomes 2402/229 (as low as 195). Tried SmartConnect to see if that helped anything, it hasn't even set the NIC to dual band. Using the Analyzer from the Router and the one on the NIC, interference is minimal. Turned off the QOS on the NIC which got me higher SpeedTest results but obviously didn't really impact receive/transmission rates and with 1Gb fiber the apps weren't impacted either. Been trying several settings/configurations to see how I can better use the 802.11ax Intel Killer NIC with the AX88U and the AX86U (replaced the AC5300's)AIMESH nodes. Taking any suggestions to try and may have already tried a few from searching this forum and others.

As for being meticulous, I'm lazy, measure twice cut once ;)

Oh, some IoT devices mostly on 5Ghz, only 2 on 2.4Ghz even with WPA2/WPA3 everything is connected and working.

That's how it is now.

I built it this way to get to the 1733/1733 using 802.11ac. Going to 802.11ax it becomes 2402/229 (as low as 195). Tried SmartConnect to see if that helped anything, it hasn't even set the NIC to dual band. Using the Analyzer from the Router and the one on the NIC, interference is minimal. Turned off the QOS on the NIC which got me higher SpeedTest results but obviously didn't really impact receive/transmission rates and with 1Gb fiber the apps weren't impacted either. Been trying several settings/configurations to see how I can better use the 802.11ax Intel Killer NIC with the AX88U and the AX86U (replaced the AC5300's)AIMESH nodes. Taking any suggestions to try and may have already tried a few from searching this forum and others.

As for being meticulous, I'm lazy, measure twice cut once ;)

Oh, some IoT devices mostly on 5Ghz, only 2 on 2.4Ghz even with WPA2/WPA3 everything is connected and working.

I get 1.2 Mb/sec with 802.11 AX and 800 Mb/sec 802.11 AC when channel set for 80 Mhz. It slows down a little when I got to 160 Mhz channel even though I don't see much near channel crosstalk on my monitors. Make the change as suggested and see what happens.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!