What's new

Anyone willing to help us alpha test a VPN services?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chmod777

Occasional Visitor
Anyone willing to help us alpha test a VPN service? We're working on an IPv6 focused VPN service based on OpenVPN and need some real people to put traffic on net.
Looking for fellow IT geeks, if your interested let me know and I'll mail you a USB key or CD with an OpenVPN config file.

We do provide V4 as NAT but the focus is really on the IPv6 side of the house.
We rate limit at ~500Mbit.
We don't have a transfer limit.
Netflix isn't going to work from our IP ranges, not our thing.

I'm interested, but you mean it's only IPv6?
It's primarily IPv6 and our focus is going to be on doing more and more on the V6 side.
When you connect to our system you would be assigned a live IPv6 address and a NAT V4 address for legacy compatibility.

Connections to the service our via V4 or V6.
Happy to provide an OpenVPN config file if your interested.

It's primarily IPv6 and our focus is going to be on doing more and more on the V6 side.
When you connect to our system you would be assigned a live IPv6 address and a NAT V4 address for legacy compatibility.

Connections to the service our via V4 or V6.
Happy to provide an OpenVPN config file if your interested.
If I only have IPv4 on my network, does that mean I can't connect to your server? (I do have IPv6 on my network, but this is just an assumption as the OpenVPN clients on Asuswrt and many routers don't support IPv6)

Also, what exactly do you want to test? And does this VPN do data collection? Is there already a privacy policy and terms of use out there for me to read?

I would like to know more information before trying it, thanks.

If I only have IPv4 on my network, does that mean I can't connect to your server? (I do have IPv6 on my network, but this is just an assumption as the OpenVPN clients on Asuswrt and many routers don't support IPv6)

Also, what exactly do you want to test? And does this VPN do data collection? Is there already a privacy policy and terms of use out there for me to read?

I would like to know more information before trying it, thanks.

Good questions,
1. Yes you can connect to our service, if your using a client on a stand alone system you would have an IPv6 address delivered via the tunnel. On a device which doesn't support IPv6 at all you would only have a NAT v4 address. Y

2. We would like to see if a wide range of apps work as expected. Basically we're offering this free to get the bugs shaken out before we go commercial.

3. Check out our privacy policy here http://www.chmod777.tech/?page_id=3. Basically we log the bare minimum required to prevent network abuse and to ensure we can comply with a legal request. We do NOT sell any of it or market against it.
** You might also be interested in our legal view http://www.chmod777.tech/?page_id=6 **

A new VPN provider whose website does not support https?

Anyone willing to help us alpha test a VPN service? We're working on an IPv6 focused VPN service based on OpenVPN and need some real people to put traffic on net.
Looking for fellow IT geeks, if your interested let me know and I'll mail you a USB key or CD with an OpenVPN config file.

Hi there. I'm willing to help any fellow IT Geeks , I'm currently with ipvanish and I'm a newbie to serious net. Stuff and really want to learn especially IPV6 so if you can help me understand it then I'll definitely trial it for you...if that's any use.

Good questions,
1. Yes you can connect to our service, if your using a client on a stand alone system you would have an IPv6 address delivered via the tunnel. On a device which doesn't support IPv6 at all you would only have a NAT v4 address. Y

2. We would like to see if a wide range of apps work as expected. Basically we're offering this free to get the bugs shaken out before we go commercial.

3. Check out our privacy policy here http://www.chmod777.tech/?page_id=3. Basically we log the bare minimum required to prevent network abuse and to ensure we can comply with a legal request. We do NOT sell any of it or market against it.
** You might also be interested in our legal view http://www.chmod777.tech/?page_id=6 **
I get it, I like your domain "chmod777", it looks very cool, and focusing on IPv6 is a good thing, we really need to give IPv6 more attention.

I know you guys are focused on IPv6, so are you home oriented? Where is your server?

You know, many people use OpenVPN to hide some traffic that they don't want to be known by their ISP, like torrents, and some to get around regional restrictions, like watching Netflix in another country, but you said that Netflix is not available for your IP address.

So my next question is who is your target audience?

A new VPN provider whose website does not support https?
I don't think their website is ready yet, you can't ask for too much for a startup that just launched.

But Merlin is right, HTTPS is really a must because someone who understands the meaning of a domain will definitely notice HTTPS and even scan your website.

We are

We're still building things literally as we speak. We're moving this from a back end service to something front end.
Expect that fixed today :)
keep doing it, i like it

Last edited:
I don't think their website is ready yet, you can't ask for too much for a startup that just launched.
I was just a bit surprised that something as basic wasn't done yet for a company whose focus is actually security-centric. It takes me 5 minutes to deploy a Let's Encrypt certificate using certbot on a new server that I just configured (which is better than nothing until you can buy an OV certificate). But, fair enough.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, asking this early might seem strange but we want to make sure we get this right :).
SSL in place and a signup form added. Thanks and enjoy the secure V6 packets.

Hi there. I'm willing to help any fellow IT Geeks , I'm currently with ipvanish and I'm a newbie to serious net. Stuff and really want to learn especially IPV6 so if you can help me understand it then I'll definitely trial it for you...if that's any use.
Certainly! If you send me a message with your email I'll email you a link to the openvpn client and a configuration file for our VPN.
It should get you IPv6 ASAP :).

Why OpenVPN if standing up a new service?

wg seems a better path for efficiency...

And a heck of a lot easier for the end-user to set up on their devices

Actually, I wonder if that's true from a provider's point of view. OpenVPN allows you to offload crypto handling to hardware, while WG is 100% CPU/software (until they implement support for AES). So while WG might have higher throughput for a single client, having multiple clients might see a hardware-accelerated OpenVPN perform better.

It might be interesting to see how performance scales with multiple clients when comparing OpenVPN with Wireguard. I us edto know someone working for a VPN provider who supports both, this is something I would have liked to ask him before he left that company :(

Just a note, we've activated our 100th beta user. That was fast, perhaps to fast. I'm working to drop another 64 cores into the mix but with it being a Saturday this will probably be Monday at best. If anyone noticed a sluggishness under high load give us until mid day Monday :).

Thanks!

Actually, I wonder if that's true from a provider's point of view. OpenVPN allows you to offload crypto handling to hardware, while WG is 100% CPU/software (until they implement support for AES). So while WG might have higher throughput for a single client, having multiple clients might see a hardware-accelerated OpenVPN perform better.

It would be interesting - Poly1305 does benefit from AVX/AVX2/AVX512 with Kernel 5.6...

That being said - there are good reasons not to do WG for some use cases, so it's not a perfect solution, but neither is OpenVPN.

(case in point, past daytime job, OpenVPN was expressly forbidden inside the core network - L2TP/IPSec could be used, as this is stock in most major OS's (interop can be a real mess there however))

We're going to run both WG and OpenVPN in for a few weeks as we beta and see what works best. As mentioned above we're building it now :).
OpenVPN fits because we know it, it's something we're familiar with but WG has benefits as well. Expect us to make a decision in the next few weeks on which way we'll proceed.

When we have WG integrated with our SSO we'll email existing users that it's an option.

Having run both side by side I have to say I'm seriously impressed with wireguard + firezone. Also I like being able to let customers add/delete their own devices out of the box and scan a QR code to install the required configs.

Thank you group. All beta testers that have helped up until this point will get 1 year free on whichever platform we deploy (Probable WG).

Why OpenVPN if standing up a new service?

And a heck of a lot easier for the end-user to set up on their devices
Thank you for this feedback, it was particularly helpful. We hadn't looked closely at WG, it wasn't a tool that either of us had used before. We knew of it's existence and Redhat's recommendations regarding WG+openshift but were not aware of the huge performance difference we've been seeing.

I can scale to the limits of my 10Gbit test NICS with Supermicro + AMD EPYC 7713P CPU with >200 simulated test clients. OpenVPN wasn't able to do this regardless of the hardware we tossed at it. This will be the way we go.

*Edited a few times I was grabbing the CPU data from the wrong boxen...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!