What's new

Anyway to schedule turning on/off rt3100?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NesTx88

Regular Contributor
I was curious is there a way to turn on/off the rt3100 at certain hours during the day? I was trying to see if I can turn it off before bed, and turn on during the morning.

No. The router is designed to run continuously. You would have to use some sort of external power time switch and I'm not sure that "yanking" the power out once a day is good for the router's health.

No. The router is designed to run continuously. You would have to use some sort of external power time switch and I'm not sure that "yanking" the power out once a day is good for the router's health.

Good point there. Hmm... well is there a way to turn the wi-fi portion off at certain times, but keep the lan running?

Hmm... well is there a way to turn the wi-fi portion off at certain times, but keep the lan running?
This question has been asked a few times before. Search the forums, but AFAIK whilst you can "turn off" the Wi-Fi there is still power going to the chips. So in terms of power saving I think it would be minimal. The only way to know for sure would be to plug a current meter into the power supply and measure the difference.

This question has been asked a few times before. Search the forums, but AFAIK whilst you can "turn off" the Wi-Fi there is still power going to the chips. So in terms of power saving I think it would be minimal. The only way to know for sure would be to plug a current meter into the power supply and measure the difference.

I think my main goal is to stop the frequencies going on everywhere while asleep. I also heard its good to put a laptop cooling pad under the 3100?

I think my main goal is to stop the frequencies going on everywhere while asleep.
I'm not sure what you mean by "frequencies going on everywhere".

I also heard its good to put a laptop cooling pad under the 3100?
You can hear a lot of things on the internet, it doesn't necessarily make them true.;) But seriously though, some people feel better when they attach fans to their routers but it shouldn't be necessary unless it's placed in a hot or unventilated environment. The router is designed to run without external cooling in a normal home environment.

I mean the radio frequencies going on while sleep. Not sure if that's healthy going on all the time?

And thanks for the clarity on the cooling pad. Mine is in a decent ventilated home.

Not sure if that's healthy going on all the time?
This seems to be an emotive topic, so at the risk of kicking the hornets nest...:rolleyes:

The World Health Organisation has stated that the radiation (strength, frequency, etc.) emitted from wireless routers is not a health hazard based on years of scientific study. However, there are some people that will refuse to accept that regardless of any evidence and prefer to go with their "gut feeling" or think it's "better safe than sorry".

Either way it's the individual's choice. But consider this ;); millions of people around the world spend hours a day, every day with a mobile phone pressed up against their brain. What is a mobile phone other than a wireless transmitter.

Go to Wireless > Professional tab > Enable wireless scheduler
Excellent. I completely forgot about that. :)

Last edited:
This seems to be an emotive topic, so at the risk of kicking the hornets nest...:rolleyes:

The World Health Organisation has stated that the radiation (strength, frequency, etc.) emitted from wireless routers is not a health hazard based on years of scientific study. However, there are some people that will refuse to accept that regardless of any evidence and prefer to go with their "gut feeling" or think it's "better safe than sorry".

Either way it's the individual's choice. But consider this ;); millions of people around the world spend hours a day, every day with a mobile phone pressed up against their brain. What is a mobile phone other than a wireless transmitter.

Excellent. I completely forgot about that. :)

Not to mention just walk outside or go on a airplane and you are exposed to WAY more radiation then any little wifi router could ever produce. So the question is are you going to stop going outside on a sunny day ? Are you going to stop flying if you need to because your scared of exposure ?? Lets get real people. Even if you shut your wifi off at night all your neighbors and local cell towers will be more then happy to supply you with a good dose of stray RF. Not to mention the local Ham operator running 2000 watts with his beam pointing right at your house. o_O

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!