What's new

Anyway to stop the dnsmasq-dhcp[915] in the system log?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

webs0r

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Btw thanks for the great firmware Merlin :)

Just wondering if anyone know how to stop these log lines in the N66U system log:

Dec 9 11:16:30 dnsmasq-dhcp[915]: DHCPINFORM(br0) 192.168.0.86 00:22:15:98:31:28
Dec 9 11:16:30 dnsmasq-dhcp[915]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.0.86 00:22:15:98:31:28 miniweb

I get these constantly generated from all my machines on the LAN. The log lines don't seem important at all?

I think a google result said that it was Window client behaviour to ask for some DNS proxy, and it will keep asking unless it is told 'no'. Is that right? Is there any easy way to get the router to tell the clients 'no'? Or just any other way to stop the log lines (even changing some setting on the clients)?

Have two 66u routers now. Have had first for about a year, no issues at all. Use 2 iPads and 4 iPhones on the wirless network along with multiple PCs on wired and wireless, the router has been rock solid so I haven't upgraded the firmware. There are system log entries of DHCP server activity with DHCPINFORM and DHCPACK and DHCPREQUEST entries for the iOS devices and PCs, but they happen minutes apart, so I would expect this to be "normal" activity.

The second is one used at my in-laws and I have had it for about 6 weeks. Worked fine for about 4 weeks and then suddenly became completely unstable. Didn't do any firmware upgrades, or change a thing. Was constantly plugged into a power strip, and the radios were configured to always be on. After the 4 weeks neither the wireless nor the wired connections would stay up for more than a few seconds. Windows 7 would report that the wired connection would go from having Internet access to needing to identify the network again (because the connection got lost) within 3-4 seconds.

Upgraded the router the latest official firmware from Asus, erased NVRAM in the process, router became stable for about 12 hours before it became even less stable for both wired and wireless connections. Managed to login to the admin and turn off the 2.4 radio, and the wired connections became completely stable. Decided to try out the 2.4 radio again, and the connections became so unstable I couldn't get into the admin anymore.

In trying to troubleshoot all of this I noticed in the system logs a lot more DHCP activity than I thought should be there. DHCP entries showed in the system log every few seconds. The reason I looked was because the DHCP server was having problems where one MAC would get assigned multiple IP addresses, and two different MACs would be assigned the same IP address (producing the IP address conflict message in Windows 7). This would all happen within seconds.

When I was doing the last bit of troubleshooting I took the network configuration down to the simplest it could be. Had the Internet connection coming out of a Motorola Surfboard cable modem (single Ethernet port, doesn't offer routing functionality so should be any kind of competing DHCP server) going into the WAN port of the 66u, then had a single wired connection to a Windows 7 PC. That is when I tried turning off the 2.4 radio (5 radio was off to begin with so I could be kind to the neighbors since I don't use 5).

Bought the router on Amazon, so getting it replaced without having to go through Asus (love Amazon returns). Will see if the new one has similar issues, but won't know for several weeks.

My thread about this is here:

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8945

Ok I think I "fixed" this problem via Merlin's firmware. I'm not a Linux person so hopefully this helps others as well.

- Enabled JFFS2 partition, enabled format it
- Enabled telnet
- Downloaded PUTTY
- Reboot the router
- Telnet in
- cd /jffs/configs
- echo dhcp-log=none > dnsmasq.conf.add
- chmod a+rx dnsmasq.conf.add
- exit
- Reboot

A couple minutes later no more log lines like this!

Ohh perhaps I spoke too soon, I'm still getting a bunch of :
Dec 12 07:10:47 kernel: printk: 6 messages suppressed.

I'm not sure what it is suppressing at the moment though...

Ohh perhaps I spoke too soon, I'm still getting a bunch of :
Dec 12 07:10:47 kernel: printk: 6 messages suppressed.

I'm not sure what it is suppressing at the moment though...

Check the line just above, that will be the message being supressed.

I'm not sure what's going on actually -because the last message was me telnetting into the router!

Dec 12 07:45:09 kernel: printk: 3 messages suppressed.
Dec 12 07:45:17 kernel: printk: 2 messages suppressed.
Dec 12 07:45:59 login[672]: root login on 'pts/0'
Dec 12 10:23:38 kernel: printk: 1 messages suppressed.
Dec 12 10:29:43 kernel: printk: 2 messages suppressed.
Dec 12 10:29:48 kernel: printk: 4 messages suppressed.

It's almost like the prior behaviour except I don't seen the DHCP messages anymore.

I am going to turn telnet off now and see if it still happens. Surely 'root' isn't logging in.

It's like its suppressing the DHCP message even tho the message didn't make it to the log?

Yes its definitely something like what I suspect. I've turned off telnet and this is the result:

Dec 12 17:14:24 miniupnpd[760]: Listening for NAT-PMP traffic on port 5351
Dec 12 17:21:47 kernel: printk: 4 messages suppressed.
Dec 12 17:21:51 kernel: printk: 11 messages suppressed.
Dec 12 17:21:56 kernel: printk: 10 messages suppressed.

etc...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!