What's new

AP and Guest Network Intranet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ninko

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I have two ASUS routers, one of which is in AP mode, but I want to use a guest network that can't access my local network, but I've since learnt you can't do this in AP mode.

Is there anyway round this?

Thanks

Ninko

Hi,
I have two ASUS routers, one of which is in AP mode, but I want to use a guest network that can't access my local network, but I've since learnt you can't do this in AP mode.

Is there anyway round this?

Thanks

Ninko

If you want to use both routers then what you can do is double NAT the routers. The Internet facing router must be the one running the guest network. The second router will be your more secure personal router. For most users double NATing doesn't cause any issues unless you want to run some type of server.

Other solutions include setting up VLANs on the first router and then connecting the AP to a VLAN port that isn't your personal VLAN. This can't be done using the GUI using stock ASUS or Merlin firmware. It will require using a script or flashing at least one router with Tomato which supports setting up VLANs using the GUI.

If the OP already has a wired connection to his AP he would be sacrificing bandwidth and reliability using a wireless bridge. And it also assumes he has a decent WiFi signal back and fourth between the router and the bridge.

If the OP doesn't have a third router to throw into the mix it would probably be less expensive to spend $25 for an inexpensive smart switch for a VLAN vs. buying a third router.