What's new

AP count and model

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Duminica

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, I am planning the network for the future home, just arrived to the wireless part and need some help.

I will need good coverage for a few devices on 3 floors, presumably from wired, ceiling mounted APs. Each floor area is maybe 80 sqm and there are thin walls between different rooms. I think I can mount each AP so all devices will be in direct sight or behind one wall, within 6-7 meters.
Will one AP per floor suffice? There will be a few devices connected (mobile phones and a couple of laptops), the TV/desktop/console/whatever else will be wired.
I already have a minipc that will run pfsense and a Juniper PoE+ switch.

I was looking at the UniFi AC Lite AP but I found some user complaints regarding the UniFi device management, bugfixing, privacy and whatnot.
On the other hand the APs are better looking than the TP-Link EAP-225v3, and that's a factor I have to consider.

I am not interested in WiFi6 at the moment, 802.11ac will do. The power will be supplied over ethernet.

Thank you

Considering it's only 80 sqm (<900 square feet) per floor, a single AP per floor should suffice. I'd look at Cisco CBW, specifically one CBW140AC per floor. The controller is embedded into the AP firmware, so you avoid that single point of failure plus you get multi-master failover. I've found it to be way more reliable than UniFi overall (it's really just trimmed-down Mobility Express - 15 year old enterprise code base - underneath a new, simplified GUI).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!