What's new

Ap isolation not working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apparently. especially if you own the ac86u. I don't run scripts and I never had to do that on the ac66u_b1 which I've owned over 2 years where I occasionally ran vpn, always ran ai protection and qos. switched between merlin and stock and never had a single issue except for when it went down on 9/11 this year after a supposed power outage at verizon which prompted me to change the ssid password which caused issues connecting devices. but a hard reset fixed it. Partly why I decided to upgrade in case it was compromised, since i'm adding more iot devices and want better range. but I realize now the newer models don't do any better with more devices and they are prolly even more vulnerable lol . I basically paid 180 dollars for slightly better range and more vpn bandwidth. And yes I always keep my router in a UPS. Maybe to you this behavior on the ac86u is normal, but I find it horrifying and suspicious. I mean I can't even run qos or ai protect without issues. Did you read everything I said? Its twilight zone status. I keep forcing myself to use this forrest fire but I hope I don't end up regretting it in the long run.

Why did the website go down? Planned maintenance?

For any given stable install, my AC86Us have been solid, except when they burned out. AiMesh has been a work-in-progress, but I understand and accept and support that. Asus and AiMesh have introduced more features and functionality than I've ever experienced or expected in a home router purchase. I think my home AiMesh network beats the competition.

The website said it was down for an upgrade, whatever that means. The timing was not typical for admin work.

OE

Don't think my issues had anything to do with aimesh though. I totally took the node out the equation when i got desperate. My original post was about that, but I ended up falling in a rabbit hole to alot of other problems lol. I definitely won't be flashing firmware for testing purposes anymore.

for kicks I searched "format jfss" on the forums. https://www.snbforums.com/search/49559/?q=format+jfss&o=date not many results at all. but turns out people did have similar issues with the ac68u when flashing funky firmware and turning on traffic analyzer. Also vpn setup, and dns rebinding attacks stick out to me lol. Just more reasons to segment your network and use a good dns and vpn server.

One problem I have is I can't use dnsmasq since I'm using exlusive mode with specific clients only.

Last edited:
the timing was sketchy. I'm gonna stop posting on the forums in case I'm attracting bad vibes. LOL I will be keeping the ac86u even though it scares me compared to my rock solid ac66u_b1. I might post in the future. Have a nice holidays man.

just a quick update and I swear my last post. i decided to hook up the aimesh node again. but i kept getting the message unable to add due to following conditions etc... nothing i did worked. changing firmwares, changing settings, i ended up having to factory reset the main router, yet again. and of course my saved settings didn't work because when i uploaded them the only network that worked was the guest network lmao. so i had to do everything from scratch again but i'm all setup. and i'm not touching nothing till the net merlin update. lol

just a quick update and I swear my last post. i decided to hook up the aimesh node again. but i kept getting the message unable to add due to following conditions etc... nothing i did worked. changing firmwares, changing settings, i ended up having to factory reset the main router, yet again. and of course my saved settings didn't work because when i uploaded them the only network that worked was the guest network lmao. so i had to do everything from scratch again but i'm all setup. and i'm not touching nothing till the net merlin update. lol

Does this post apply to your AC66U_B1?

OE

Does this post apply to your AC66U_B1?

OE

don't think so. it was working before i decided to install those beta firmwares for the guest mode across nodes. the issue i believe was the ac86u because the fix was to factory reset it. was probably after i had all those issues that day and then formatted the jfss partition. guess it needed one more factory reset lol. my node is a 2017 model. but it was the ac86u that was the issue for me.

after i got the node working i put merlin back on it to avoid that 5g unavailable wireless restart issue i learned matchin the firmware fixed in my earlier trials. the only issue i had after setting up the node again was the roaming was disabled on it for some reason. which i only realized when nothing was connecting to it. more twilight zone stuff.

gave the 386 firmware another try. still can't get the vpn to work right on it. and now i keep getting

Oct 26 03:06:47 kernel: 1C:12:B0:C9:7A:14 not mesh client, can't update it's ip

for the all the clients on my network. nothing roaming no romacast messages. ai mesh not working properly. factory reset and re-flashing not helping... the aimesh tab loses its icon and the page keeps freezing up the gui. what a fkn joke. i'm about ready to box this fkn turd of a router back up again. its probably a gov't backdoor. what a joke.

gave the 386 firmware another try. still can't get the vpn to work right on it. and now i keep getting

Oct 26 03:06:47 kernel: 1C:12:B0:C9:7A:14 not mesh client, can't update it's ip

for the all the clients on my network. nothing roaming no romacast messages. ai mesh not working properly. factory reset and re-flashing not helping... the aimesh tab loses its icon and the page keeps freezing up the gui. what a fkn joke. i'm about ready to box this fkn turd of a router back up again. its probably a gov't backdoor. what a joke.

Asus responded here recently to say that
Oct 26 03:06:47 kernel: 1C:12:B0:C9:7A:14 not mesh client, can't update it's ip is harmless.

The rest of your router issues suggest defective hardware or a messed up router. I'd replace it, if you can.

OE

Asus responded here recently to say that
Oct 26 03:06:47 kernel: 1C:12:B0:C9:7A:14 not mesh client, can't update it's ip is harmless.

The rest of your router issues suggest defective hardware or a messed up router. I'd replace it, if you can.

OE

interesting. I thought it has taken the place of romast events which I stopped seeing in the log. thanks for your reply. I'm thinking of going back to the ax58u which apparently i should of kept lol Because faster vpn is not worth it.