What's new

AP mode or Repeater mode with cabled APs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scheuri

New Around Here
Hi all

Sorry, if this was answered already somewhere else. My google and forum foo was not strong enough to find an article...my apologies if I have overseen something

I own two ASUS router (the AC86U and the AC68U). Both running the Asus Merlin firmware (so no aimesh).
The AC86U is being newly used as main router in Wireless router mode (Default) mode and has two wlans configured (a 2.4 GHz and a 5 Ghz). Those wlans are configured on the AC68U (in AP mode at the moment) as well, with the same SSIDs.

I'd like to use the AC68U as an extention for the wireless signal. Preferably so that my wireless devices choose the "stronger"/"closer" one (I am aware that seamless handover is not an option, but at least they should switch to the stronger one).

Two issues:
  1. At the moment my devices only want to connect to the AC68U (as this was the default router before) and ignore the AC86U (which has a new MAC address). So there is no choosing the stronger SSID with the same name when I walk to the other side of the apartement.
    Is it correct to assume that I would need to put the AC68 in Repeater Mode rather than in AP Mode for this (and likely connect my wireless devices to the AC86U first)?
  2. BOTH routers are connected to each other via cable (I have a cat6 running from end of the apartement to the other).
    It would be great if that cable is being used from the AP (AC68U) to the default gateway (which is the AC86U). However, I have the feeling using the Repeater mode on the AC68U that will not be the case...
Thank you for your help
Best regards
scheuri

EDIT:
I am an idiot...I do not have a AC66U, but a AC68U. The AC66U I had is out of commission :)

Last edited:
Think you should use AP mode for LAN-backhaul. See the pictures when you choose mode-setup on GUI admin page.
Devices will stick on last WiFi connection as long as strong enough, dependant on device software.
On 86U you can activate roaming assistend (or smart connect) then they will change faster to 66U, but maybe not back as 66U doesnt have this feature (dont know for 66U).
I have similar situation only 68U instead of your 66U.

Turn off 66U and connect all devices once to 86U in case they refuse it (can happen sometimes).

Think you should use AP mode for LAN-backhaul. See the pictures when you choose mode-setup on GUI admin page.
Thanks for your reply!
That is what I was thinking.

Devices will stick on last WiFi connection as long as strong enough, dependant on device software.
Appears like....I have to get my devices to activaly connect to the new AC86U (I changed the SSIDs on the AC86U for that, I'd rather have them both the same on AC86 and AC68)
On 86U you can activate roaming assistend (or smart connect) then they will change faster to 66U, but maybe not back as 66U doesnt have this feature (dont know for 66U).
I have similar situation only 68U instead of your 66U.
I will check that out...thank you.
Turn off 66U and connect all devices once to 86U in case they refuse it (can happen sometimes).
Thanks, I guess I have to do that...all devices to connect to the AC86U at least once.

Now, using AP mode means that I have two different WLANs (preferably with the same SSID) and I have to make sure that the devices connected to each of those at least once (otherwise they will refuse to connect to the AC86). Means that I have (at least with my limited knowledge) to have to SSIDs...I couldnt make my tablets and phones not connect to the nearer AC86U with the same SSID as the AC68U...simply couldn't.

Thanks for your help

Now, using AP mode means that I have two different WLANs (preferably with the same SSID) and I have to make sure that the devices connected to each of those at least once (otherwise they will refuse to connect to the AC86). Means that I have (at least with my limited knowledge) to have to SSIDs...I couldnt make my tablets and phones not connect to the nearer AC86U with the same SSID as the AC68U...simply couldn't.
Up to you, you can use same SSID for 2G/5G on both routers, or make up to 4 SSID than you are able to choose best Wifi for actual situation or one 2G and another 5G on both routers.
But use different channels on the routers 1-5-9-13 or 1-9 if using 40MHz bandwith, depending to your neighbours!
5G I would use 80MHz and 36-52-100-116-132-149.
The more SSID the more manual possibilities to choose best connection or stearing devices to 5G only, but more work to connect all to all SSID and bader for raoming.

I use same SSID on all, but made additional 4 different guest-SSIDs to have the option to use defined for some devices (TV or my PC).

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!