What's new

AP Mode with FTTP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wizzard

Regular Contributor
Hope this the right forum.
Current setup:

Virgin Media M350 - in Modem mode
Orbi R50 router with 2 satellites (Orbi can run in either Router/AP Mode)
2 Netgear switches off the Orbi
Copper Landline

Planning to switch to BT / SKY 500 fibre optic broadband.

Need the phone so have to use the isp Broadband Hub. Neither isp hub provides modem only hub. So, have to run Orbi as Access Point mode otherwise might get double Nat.

My issues are:

1. If I switch off WiFi mode in the isp Hub and run Orbi in AP Mode, will Orbi still manage the ip addresses?

2. If I run Orbi in Router mode, will Double Nat be a major issue?

Any suggestions please?

Double nat is only an issue if you're trying to access from the outside.

1 - no, the ISP modem stills does the DHCP
2 - see above

Double nat is only an issue if you're trying to access from the outside.

1 - no, the ISP modem stills does the DHCP
2 - see above
Please explain a bit more on access from outside? I have alarm / lights / heating (via android phone apps) that I use at times. Will this not be possible?

If you use services that use a web portal (Ring, Nest, Google Home, etc.) then it's not an issue. Those devices connect outbound to a portal, and you connect to that portal even inside your house, so it's no big deal. The "access from the outside" comment is related to running a VPN or a game server inside your home. I run a VPN so I can "fix" problems for my family while I'm at work. Double NAT simply requires me to set port forwarding on the outside router to the same port on the inside router, and port forwarding on the inside router to the VPN server.

If you use services that use a web portal (Ring, Nest, Google Home, etc.) then it's not an issue. Those devices connect outbound to a portal, and you connect to that portal even inside your house, so it's no big deal. The "access from the outside" comment is related to running a VPN or a game server inside your home. I run a VPN so I can "fix" problems for my family while I'm at work. Double NAT simply requires me to set port forwarding on the outside router to the same port on the inside router, and port forwarding on the inside router to the VPN server.
Thanks! This makes sense. A newbie question - I use VPN (on Chrome browsing at times) from the house. Presumably this will not be an issue?

Thanks a lot guys. Last couple of questions:

1. Assuming I switch off Wi-Fi mode in the isp Hub and run Orbi in Router Mode, will Isp hub still manage the ip addresses?

2. In your opinion, as I need the isp hub for the phone, what is Orbi better in - AP or Router mode? I am sure this issue must be facing a lot of FTTP users.

3. Have Asus AC86U modem. If this connected to the Orbi which is in AP Mode, will the Asus 86U be AP mode as well?

Thanks a lot guys. Last couple of questions:

1. Assuming I switch off Wi-Fi mode in the isp Hub and run Orbi in Router Mode, will Isp hub still manage the ip addresses?

2. In your opinion, as I need the isp hub for the phone, what is Orbi better in - AP or Router mode? I am sure this issue must be facing a lot of FTTP users.

3. Have Asus AC86U modem. If this connected to the Orbi which is in AP Mode, will the Asus 86U be AP mode as well?
Bump?