What's new

AP/Router for my standalone router in a small house?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sthayashi

New Around Here
Quick personal history: I've been burned too many times with wireless products where wireless inexplicably stops working. Between that and being a bit old school, I have a lot of my devices wired with ethernet. Once we started owning smart phones, I broke down and bought a Netgear WNDR3700 for our wireless needs.

A couple years ago, I start getting burned again with the wireless part cutting out, so I bought a Ubiquiti ERPOE-5 and turned the WNDR3700 into a functional access point that I still have to reset occasionally, but doing so does not disrupt the wired network. It works well enough, but it's starting to get old. I have one device that can no longer connect to it (though it could be a problem with the device itself).

I've been keeping an eye on the Ubiquiti UAP-AC series, but could never quite pull the trigger on them as our current setup works well enough. Looking at the analysis posted by Tim, the TP-Link is cheaper and performs better. But I know that numbers aren't the whole story.

To be clearer on my requirements, I really only need one wireless access point to cover my 1250 sq ft house and I don't have major bandwidth or device requirements so virtually anything will work. Multiple SSIDs might be nice for guests and friends.

Any suggestions to steer me to either the UAP-AC , TP-Link's EAP or even something else?

....I'd vouch for the UAP-AC Series...I swapped my ASUS AC68U (served in AP-mode) for one UAP-AC-LR and it it works flawlessly with better range.
Support of multiple SSIDs either guest/non-guest works as well, even though these are simple APs, not Routers.
I swapped as more and more wireless gizmos and IoT devices turned up in the house...counting to 35+ and rising for a family of four and the wireless radio simply refused to connect out of a sudden...tried the UAP and sold the 3 year old ASUS for about the same price :)