What's new

AP Setup / Link 2 Wireless Routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DR9

New Around Here
Hello,

I have a ASUS 66u and DLink 825 wireless N routers. I want to configure the DLink to see my main network (ASUS).

On the other end of the DLink I want to connect some equipment (Home theater items) wired. Basically Wireless N 5ghz band between the 2 routers. How do I setup the DLink to accomplish this?

Just setup the same gateway, a static ip and that's it on the DLink? I couldn't find any option to enable AP mode.

Thanks for any help!

Maybe it's because it's 2am, but I don't know what you want so I'm going to mention the three possibilities you might be asking in brief, and if you need more info let me know:

1. Using the D-Link as a repeater/WDS repeater. Don't do it even if it supports it, repeaters stink and make your network unreliable.

2. Using the D-Link as an AP. Ideally it has an AP mode that disables NAT. If not, just turn off the built-in DHCP server, make sure it's IP address doesn't conflict with your router or it's DHCP range, and use only the LAN ports leaving the WAN port empty.

3. Using the D-Link as a station. Depends on each manufacturer if it's even capable. If this is what you want let me know and I'll look up directions for that product if it can do it.

Maybe it's because it's 2am, but I don't know what you want so I'm going to mention the three possibilities you might be asking in brief, and if you need more info let me know:

1. Using the D-Link as a repeater/WDS repeater. Don't do it even if it supports it, repeaters stink and make your network unreliable.

2. Using the D-Link as an AP. Ideally it has an AP mode that disables NAT. If not, just turn off the built-in DHCP server, make sure it's IP address doesn't conflict with your router or it's DHCP range, and use only the LAN ports leaving the WAN port empty.

3. Using the D-Link as a station. Depends on each manufacturer if it's even capable. If this is what you want let me know and I'll look up directions for that product if it can do it.

Number 2 would be that.

Connect my HTPC, PS3, Xbox to the DLink and have to wirelessly connect to the ASUS via N 5ghz.

I would just disable DHCP, put a IP like 192.168.20.20 Gateway 255.255.255.0 for example on the DLink?

a WiFi router repurposed as an Access Point ... the WAN port goes unused. Thus, there can be no NAT as there are no routing functions in use.

DHCP does need to be disabled.

Number 2 would be that.

Connect my HTPC, PS3, Xbox to the DLink and have to wirelessly connect to the ASUS via N 5ghz.

I would just disable DHCP, put a IP like 192.168.20.20 Gateway 255.255.255.0 for example on the DLink?

As long as your LAN is 192.168.20.0/24 and *.20 is outside your DHCP pool, yuppers on the IP. Gateway is your main router's LAN IP, not 255.255.255.0 - that's the subnet mask for a /24. Disable DHCP on the D-Link and connect one of it's LAN ports to a LAN port on the main router. Set the D-Link to have the SAME SSID and SECURITY as the main router but a DIFFERENT, NON-OVERLAPPING CHANNEL.

Number 2 would be that.

No, you would have to put 3rd party firmware on the Dlink to gain that ability, and only if it is a revision B 825 will it support such.

What they're proposing is just an access point, and would require a wired connection between the ASUS and the Dlink.

What they're proposing is just an access point, and would require a wired connection between the ASUS and the Dlink.

Oh dang yes, I totally missed the WIRELESS link when I described some options and he said that.

DON'T. DO. IT. Run a CAT5e to the second location :) Wireless repeating is flakey, at best.

Doesn't look like the OP wants to repeat wireless, just bridge the wireless to ethernet.

Doesn't look like the OP wants to repeat wireless, just bridge the wireless to ethernet.

Hmm, odd when I was confused on the original post, I specifically asked and he said he did want to use it as an AP and NOT as a station (one of the things I thought he might have meant).

If you want to use it as a station, get a different device :D LOL, sorry, but it's true. Unless DD-WRT or something will run on it and frankly, setting up DD-WRT isn't for you - no offense, just being real, you'll have a lot better experience getting the right device than hacking what you have.

Hmm, odd when I was confused on the original post, I specifically asked and he said he did want to use it as an AP and NOT as a station (one of the things I thought he might have meant).

If you want to use it as a station, get a different device :D LOL, sorry, but it's true. Unless DD-WRT or something will run on it and frankly, setting up DD-WRT isn't for you - no offense, just being real, you'll have a lot better experience getting the right device than hacking what you have.

Quote from OP - On the other end of the DLink I want to connect some equipment (Home theater items) wired. Basically Wireless N 5ghz band between the 2 routers. How do I setup the DLink to accomplish this?

Number 2 would be that.
<<<---this is what is confusing everyone based on your scenario list. The OP made a mistake or didn't understand it completely.

The OP states twice that he wants there to be a wireless bridge between the ASUS and DLink, then wired from the Dlink to the theater equipment.

There is nothing wrong with using DD-WRT, it might be a tad bit difficult for a novice to get working, but that is what forums are for. If you want the easiest route, buy an wireless bridge product. Here are some the latest and greatest, starting with the best:

Trendnet TEW-680MB(3 stream)

Netgear WN2500RP

Linksys WES610N

Dlink DAP-1513

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!