What's new

AP vs Mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dahyippur

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I'm using an ac68u at home and need to boost wifi signal in the garage. What is the most common method of doing this at the moment?

Hello, I'm using an ac68u at home and need to boost wifi signal in the garage. What is the most common method of doing this at the moment?

Do you have Ethernet where you plan on placing the second AP or are you forced to have a Wi-Fi repeater?

What speed/client devices requirements do you have for the garage?

A possible solution for lower throughput usage may be a powerline kit with something simple like an RT-N12 D1 connected on the end.

What speed/client devices requirements do you have for the garage?

Nothing demanding, mostly mobile devices.

A possible solution for lower throughput usage may be a powerline kit with something simple like an RT-N12 D1 connected on the end.

Interesting, so the wan port on that N12 would be connected to a lan port on the ac68u via powerline, then act as an access point?

I'm leaning towards a repeater for simplicity, but don't know if there are any drawbacks compared to mesh or some other setup

Yes, the N12 would be connected exactly like that. :)

Repeaters will kill your bandwidth for the rest of the network while they are actively working/being used.

If a powerline adaptor works in your case (be sure you can return, if needed), then it would be the best choice, IMO.

Yes, the N12 would be connected exactly like that. :)

Repeaters will kill your bandwidth for the rest of the network while they are actively working/being used.

If a powerline adaptor works in your case (be sure you can return, if needed), then it would be the best choice, IMO.

I’d second the recommendation that you use powerline rather than wireless for the backhaul. Buy the powerline adapters some place you can return them just in case they don’t work well in your home. I’ve used them at different times and they did the trick.

How far from router to garage? What is the building construction?

I had your problem. I added a second 68U for a 2x68U AiMesh. At the time (3/2018), AiMesh was new and evolving; I thought I wanted Smart Connect node band steering and identical SSIDs; and the garage node dropped once or twice... so I doubled-down and installed a 2x86U AiMesh... the 86U has a scrunch more range. My problem was solved, but AiMesh had its growing pains.

A 2x68U AiMesh may work for you, but I would get an 86U as your new router, if you go this route.

I pushed one of my 68Us out to Grandma (FTTH) and sold the other to a brother and fixed his mess of a home network... he had an old router still hooked up to an ISP router (xDSL) that was broadcasting open WiFi for way too long... now he's on cable and secured.

OE

FWIW I use powerline backhaul with 4 AiMesh nodes, works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk