What's new

API / Alternative UI (for mobile)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sas

Regular Contributor
Hi I am a web developer (mostly working with node/js/html/css these days but also have a lot of php experience) and I was interested in a reworked interface for accessing the router settings. I have looked at the ASUS Router app for iOS, but it lacks functionality I need (VPN settings for example), among other things that are at odds with the Merlin builds. So my questions are:
  1. Does there already exist an alternative mobile adapted webUI?
  2. Alternatively, is there an API available for accessing settings (that I could build my own app around)?
  3. Or, is it possible to provide alternative style sheets for the existing webUI?
BTW, I am currently using an RT-AC86U and the latest (384.18) firmware.

Thanks!

Asus's app API is not documented, and that code is partly closed source.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

I know this was a while ago, but recently I discovered a handy workaround for the things I wanted to do (like quickly turning on or off VPN client in the router) using Siri Shortcuts app on my phone. If anyone is interested I can post the shortcut info here.

Sure, just do the following (requires ssh access is setup in your router administration page, I added my key so that I can auto login):
  1. Launch Siri Shortcuts
  2. Add new shortcut
  3. Add Action "Run Script over SSH"
  4. Fill in your info for your host ip, etc and for the input you can enter a command like "service start_vpnclient1" (to start vpn client 1 on the router)
  5. Save it, and you are done.
I have setup one for starting a client and another for stopping a client, quite simple but WAY faster than connecting over the web interface, going to the page and toggling on

Sure, just do the following (requires ssh access is setup in your router administration page, I added my key so that I can auto login):
  1. Launch Siri Shortcuts
  2. Add new shortcut
  3. Add Action "Run Script over SSH"
  4. Fill in your info for your host ip, etc and for the input you can enter a command like "service start_vpnclient1" (to start vpn client 1 on the router)
  5. Save it, and you are done.
I have setup one for starting a client and another for stopping a client, quite simple but WAY faster than connecting over the web interface, going to the page and toggling on
i might interest you in scmerlin - it offers a whole suite of "shortcuts" from an SSH menu :)
68747470733a2f2f7075752e73682f484b5a62622f613835383532616465612e706e67

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!