What's new

Apparent problem when using the Wireless MAC Filter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Having used a Canon Pixma TS8250 printer for several years without any problems at all, I thought that it was starting to fail, because recently it has been either working very slowing or stalling half-way through the first page of a document. Also, the scanner was taking longer to start up and then that would fail too, with a message on my laptop about being unable to communicate with the scanner. First of all, I tried uninstalling/reinstalling all the Canon software and drivers, but that didn't work. Then I wondered if it might be something to do with Bitdefender's firewall, so I disabled that and tried again, but there was no change either. Starting to run out of ideas, I turned my attention to my new RT-AX88U Pro router. I didn't really think that was the source of the problem as everything else seemed to be working OK on my network. But then I remembered that when I was setting up the router, I had switched on the MAC filtering feature and added all known network devices to the accept list (most are on the 5 GHz band, but the printer and a few other devices only work on the 2.4 GHz band). So, I switched it off and lo and behold, the printer/scanner starting working properly again. Has anyone else had a similar problem to this by any chance?

I will only say that I recently had a gizmo that only worked on the 2.4GHz band, and would not work with my combined 2.4/5 SSID, and the solution was to add it to the 5GHz REJECTED filter. So when the gizmo fires-up it is rejected from even trying to connect via 5GHz. I did this with a couple other devices (including a thermostat) and it worked.

Maybe you should try 5GHz REJECT for your Canon.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!