What's new

Appending text to file on NAS is slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

turnip

New Around Here
my setup is as follows

1. windows 10

2. connected across 1gbps link directly to ds418j with 2 Red WD drives in SHR raid configuration.

3. when transferring large files I get expected speeds of 100->110MBP/s

4. Share mounted as a network drive

One of my applications writes to a file by appending lines of text to it. The amount of text appended can be as high as 20MBP/s. And I do see that when writing to a local drive. However, when application writes to Synology NAS I'm seeing very uneven writing speeds. As high as 10MPBS and as low as 300kbps. This makes the local application un-responsive.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion as to how I can optimize for this type of traffic. ie stream of text being written across the network and appended to a file.

Is your application doing any kind of buffering while writing?

Also make sure you are using SMBv2 or SMBv3, and don't have encryption/signing enabled if using SMB3, as this can affect performance, and is generally not necessary in a small LAN.

there are no setting in the application affecting the buffering.
I've enabled SMB3 as the maximum and SMB2 as minimum, but that didnt make a difference.

Last edited:
Have you tried going to a real Windows shared drive and seeing how the speed is?

Might also be interesting to use some of the sysinternals tools to trace the application and it's low level API calls

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!