1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Appending text to file on NAS is slow

Discussion in 'General NAS Discussion' started by turnip, Jan 21, 2019.

1. turnip

turnip New Around Here

my setup is as follows

1. windows 10

2. connected across 1gbps link directly to ds418j with 2 Red WD drives in SHR raid configuration.

3. when transferring large files I get expected speeds of 100->110MBP/s

4. Share mounted as a network drive

One of my applications writes to a file by appending lines of text to it. The amount of text appended can be as high as 20MBP/s. And I do see that when writing to a local drive. However, when application writes to Synology NAS I'm seeing very uneven writing speeds. As high as 10MPBS and as low as 300kbps. This makes the local application un-responsive.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion as to how I can optimize for this type of traffic. ie stream of text being written across the network and appended to a file.

2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Is your application doing any kind of buffering while writing?

Also make sure you are using SMBv2 or SMBv3, and don't have encryption/signing enabled if using SMB3, as this can affect performance, and is generally not necessary in a small LAN.

3. turnip

turnip New Around Here

there are no setting in the application affecting the buffering.
    I've enabled SMB3 as the maximum and SMB2 as minimum, but that didnt make a difference.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  4. PeterT

PeterT New Around Here

Have you tried going to a real Windows shared drive and seeing how the speed is?

Might also be interesting to use some of the sysinternals tools to trace the application and it's low level API calls

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk