What's new

AQM and DOCSIS 3.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OMGponies

Occasional Visitor
Does anyone know if there are any DOCSIS 3.0 modems that support active queue management? I'm referring to a modem like the Arris SB6183 or the Netgear CM600 rather than a DOCSIS 3.1 modem running in compatibility mode.

I'm trying to reduce latency/bufferbloat in my network rather than add bandwidth. I currently pay for 300/20 and speed tests indicate I get that much.

Reference:

https://www.cablelabs.com/wp-conten...ve_Queue_Management_Algorithms_DOCSIS_3_0.pdf

Does anyone know if there are any DOCSIS 3.0 modems that support active queue management? I'm referring to a modem like the Arris SB6183 or the Netgear CM600 rather than a DOCSIS 3.1 modem running in compatibility mode.

I'm trying to reduce latency/bufferbloat in my network rather than add bandwidth. I currently pay for 300/20 and speed tests indicate I get that much.

I don't know of a modem that does that but there are quite a few routers that have AQM. Everyone I know that uses AQM does it at their router. As far as which routers do it, I would have to look into that. I know routers like Untangle (which I use), pfSense, Ubiquiti ER series, etc have AQM. As far as more consumer routers I think the ASUS routers have them. Maybe others can chime in on what consumer routers have AQM.

Perhaps an even more important question is which ISPs allow you to control/adjust settings on modems connected to their plant. I know with my 6183 there were only a few trivial settings I could control like disabling the indicator lights.

Reference:

https://www.cablelabs.com/wp-conten...ve_Queue_Management_Algorithms_DOCSIS_3_0.pdf

I don't think any docsis 3.0 modems currently support AQM at this time.

PER Cable labs:

"we've mandated it be included in DOCSIS 3.1 equipment (both cable modem and CMTS). We've also amended the DOCSIS 3.0 specification to strongly recommend that vendors add it to existing equipment (via firmware upgrade) if possible.

I seriously doubt any modem manufacture will be updating docsis 3.0 FW to implement AQM anytime soon...

You can try the Netgear CM1000 docsis 3.1 with AQM modem. The CM1000 IS BACKWARDS compatible with docsis 3.0.

I would just make sure your isp supports the CM1000 before you purchase as ALL FW updates are pushed through your isp.

Spectrum just approved the CM1000 for their network. This will be my next purchase....

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!