What's new

Are all routers of the same model created equal?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bitsbytes

I have two ac86u routets and Recently I factory reset both of them and reconfigured both as a main router and a node. This is the same setup I've been using for the past year if my memory serves me well. No placement changes of any sort, just a reset and the same configuration as always with manual channels, channel bandwidth, the usual setup you always recommend here. But to my surprise I noticed that all the devices connected to my main router all have worse connectivity stats than what I'm used to seeing.

I checked the configurations, moved the router a little bit, checked the antennas and checked the surroundings but nothing helped. I finally decided to switch the routets and there it was, the same readings I'm used to seeing. Turns out I switched the routers from my previous setup. Is this normal? Or should I be worried that one of the router's wifi chip is dying? I really haven't noticed this before so I have no reference to compare. Th signal differences is minimal to me in terms of performance and numbers but I'm not a network expert to know if the differences is acceptable or not. As an example my TV with the better router is at -55 dBm while it's at -62 dBm with the other router and this differences is consistent with other devices as well.

Are all routers of the same model created equal?

That is the intention. You'll have to decide if they are not.

I would configure them both identically and then try each as a standalone router to make some observations for comparison.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!