What's new

Are new AI-Protect and QoS signatures included with latest Firmware, or separate?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus might include what's the latest at the time the firmware is developed, however I do not manually update them. No point in doing so, since within a few minutes of booting with a new firmware, the latest signature gets downloaded from the update servers.

Asus might include what's the latest at the time the firmware is developed, however I do not manually update them. No point in doing so, since within a few minutes of booting with a new firmware, the latest signature gets downloaded from the update servers.
My cat does not believe so.

I mean like in cat /tmp/bwdpi/rule.version

I mean: it still might be true that after a firmware update the rules get updated automatically, however they do not get updated automatically, speaking in general (i.e. without firmware upgrade).

Last edited:
My cat does not believe so.

I mean like in cat /tmp/bwdpi/rule.version

I mean: it still might be true that after a firmware update the rules get updated automatically, however they do not get updated automatically, speaking in general (i.e. without firmware upgrade).

There's a scheduled update occurring every night.

I have two AC56U, both running latest alpha2, previously the stable version. My routers have never updated AI Protect signatures automatically.

Then something's wrong with your setup. Mine does, and Asus confirmed in the past that there is a scheduled signature update in place.

# cru l
25 2 * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall banmalware #Skynet_banmalware#
25 1 * * Mon sh /jffs/scripts/firewall update #Skynet_autoupdate#
0 * * * * sh /jffs/scripts/firewall save #Skynet_save#
00 3 * * Sun /tmp/mnt/newopt/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add cronjob #AB_UpdateHosts#

What is missing?

Is this action transparent to the user? I ask as I don't see anywhere in the browser GUI that indicates any sort of update happening.

Thanks

Attachments

• 2018-07-08 12_11_49-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - Firmware Upgrade.jpg
    2018-07-08 12_11_49-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - Firmware Upgrade.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 585
Then it looks like mine hasn't been updated.

View attachment 13651

And you're saying that's also for the AiProtection update? Doesn't seem like it would be, it looks like when the router firmware was updated as that is the date is when I updated to 384.5.
well, that's the behavior that i observe for my uncle's router.
I switch around between firmware (merlin/stock) and reset quite often so I normally do it manually with my own router and make sure it matches the sig version to what is on my uncle's router.
here is what it looks like on my own router.
Untitled2.png

and if i remember correctly, 384.5 comes with sig version 2.066 or something like that, could be wrong, it will require factory reset to check.

also this is from my own experience,
sometimes the sig version will be in weird format (older form of the signature format) or wont update even manually after reset or firmware swap
try power cycle and clear nvram, it should fix the issue.

it might be worth considering for Asus to have current signature version somewhere for end user to compare.

--- update ---
just did a quick swap from stock to merlin, factory reset to show the firmware, and within 10 min, it's updated to the 2.078
Untitled2.png 10min.png

Last edited: