What's new

Are there any performance advantages using an Integrated 2.5Gbps NIC verses addon PCI?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MKANET

Regular Contributor
I just ordered a great Intel-based motherboard... however, I realized afterwards that it only has an integrated old-fashioned 1Gbps Ethernet NIC.

I'm curious is there any difference in performance/resource utilization/latency by using an Intel based 2.5Gbps addon NIC verses Integrated Intel 2.5Gbps NIC?

I just ordered a great Intel-based motherboard... however, I realized afterwards that it only has an integrated old-fashioned 1Gbps Ethernet NIC.

I'm curious is there any difference in performance/resource utilization/latency by using an Intel based 2.5Gbps addon NIC verses Integrated Intel 2.5Gbps NIC?
1gb is better than 2.5gb except speed. Intel 2.5gb chips are garbage.

Thanks for the advice. I was actually asking the performance difference between Integrated 2.5Gbps NICs verses the equivalent addon card. I definitely want to take advantage of the extra speed.

Thanks for the advice. I was actually asking the performance difference between Integrated 2.5Gbps NICs verses the equivalent addon card. I definitely want to take advantage of the extra speed.
I doubt there would be any noticeable difference. It probably comes down to the particular motherboard/addon card in question.

2.5Gbps NICs
Qnap has some aquantia based options that work well. I have their quad port 5GE in my server that runs 24/7 for the past few years.

The only advantage of an integrated nic is it keeps a slot free for something better.

Im curious what makes the Intel 2.5Gb chipsets garbage? Do you have a resource I could check out. I only have experience with old fashioned 1gb Intel NICs

I'm curious to see how much extra money you are going to spend before you realize there was no point doing it. This Comcast 1200 plan will cost you big money for minimal benefits over your existing Gigabit capable network and hardware. What you can't do with Gigabit network and Internet?

Im curious what makes the Intel 2.5Gb chipsets garbage? Do you have a resource I could check out. I only have experience with old fashioned 1gb Intel NICs
Considering it's a bit of a flop and they're on something like the 6th revision already should be an indicator that they don't have a clue how NBASE-T works properly.

As to the speed.... Mostly for LAN moving data is where it comes into play as I doubt many people would be putting their PC directly onto the CM connection w/o a FW between them. Then again consumers are silly sometimes.

I'm curious to see how much extra money you are going to spend before you realize there was no point doing it. This Comcast 1200 plan will cost you big money for minimal benefits over your existing Gigabit capable network and hardware. What you can't do with Gigabit network and Internet?
I already have the 1200 plan. I got a good deal from Comcast. I currently only get about 900Mbps as opposed to the full 1400Mbps bandwidth. This is for my headless Internet-facing server with multiple self-hosted services; including nzb news client.

They have same garbage performance and are unstable. Why don't you buy a 10gb nic? They work as 100, 1, 2.5, 5, 10.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D71PVXG/?tag=snbforums-20

A TP-link NIC? I don't think i would buy into that. I don't have experience with Aquantia chipsets but i did learn the hard way that when talking NIC, i only want to talk Intel. My experiences with Realtek and some other chipsets are pretty poor. Dropped connections, poor throughput. They may be cheaper, but not live up to the standard. Never had any problem whatsoever with an Intel-based card. Beats all the others on performance and compatibility.

A TP-link NIC? I don't think i would buy into that. I don't have experience with Aquantia chipsets but i did learn the hard way that when talking NIC, i only want to talk Intel. My experiences with Realtek and some other chipsets are pretty poor. Dropped connections, poor throughput. They may be cheaper, but not live up to the standard. Never had any problem whatsoever with an Intel-based card. Beats all the others on performance and compatibility.
I don't like TP-Link. But some of their items are good and cheap enough to use. ASUS is using AQC107 for 10gb nic. You don't have any experience with Aquantia like you said. You don't even know TP-Link 10gb NIC is using reference PCB from Aquantia, ASUS doesn't. You know why a lot of users use TP-Link TX401? Because we can upgrade it with official Marvell firmware without any issue, ASUS doesn't. AQC107 is still working great since 2018. Let me know if you know any consumer grade10gb NIC better than AQC107. I have Intel, Mellanox, TP-Link, ASUS 10gb NICs. Are you still thinking Intel nic is the best for every single field these days? Are you going to recommend Intel 500, 700, 800 Series NICs like E810, X710T4, X710-DA4, X550-T2, X520-DA2 to normal users?

Last edited:
Are you still thinking Intel nic is the best for every single field? Are you going to recommend NICs like X710T4, X550-T2 or SFP+ nic to normal users?
Funny, i wasn't going to respond on the last sentence in your reply but now it is gone :)

Firstly, why do you define someone that wants a 10Gb NIC as a "normal user"? No consumer needs 10Gb, not even 5Gb or 2.5Gb for that matter so i guess it is safe to say that we are talking about an enthusiast, hobbyist or even professional. In any of those cases it is a choice and you want it to work, right? Tinkering is fun but in the end, it is your home (or business) network connection and you want it to be reliable because in many cases, you are not the only one using that network. That is no "age-old fantasy", don't you think?

My point is, when i post something, i have personal experience with it and i have had issues with TP-Link wifi cards in the past, have had issues with Realtek-based NIC cards and currently seeing my brother suffering with wifi issues with his TP-Link M4 system. All of my own issues magically vanished when i replaced them with an Intel-based solution and surely there are some that are better than others but my i210 and x550-T2 solutions work without a glitch and i agree, they may be a bit more pricey but in my experience, you plug them in and never look back.

Just for completeness, i do not need an x550-T2, i just bought it because i spotted it on 2nd hand local website and the seller sold it dead-cheap because he wasn't sure it was real or a knock-off (it was a Silicom so it didn't have the yottamark sticker).

Funny, i wasn't going to respond on the last sentence in your reply but now it is gone :)

Firstly, why do you define someone that wants a 10Gb NIC as a "normal user"? No consumer needs 10Gb, not even 5Gb or 2.5Gb for that matter so i guess it is safe to say that we are talking about an enthusiast, hobbyist or even professional. In any of those cases it is a choice and you want it to work, right? Tinkering is fun but in the end, it is your home (or business) network connection and you want it to be reliable because in many cases, you are not the only one using that network. That is no "age-old fantasy", don't you think?

My point is, when i post something, i have personal experience with it and i have had issues with TP-Link wifi cards in the past, have had issues with Realtek-based NIC cards and currently seeing my brother suffering with wifi issues with his TP-Link M4 system. All of my own issues magically vanished when i replaced them with an Intel-based solution and surely there are some that are better than others but my i210 and x550-T2 solutions work without a glitch and i agree, they may be a bit more pricey but in my experience, you plug them in and never look back.

Just for completeness, i do not need an x550-T2, i just bought it because i spotted it on 2nd hand local website and the seller sold it dead-cheap because he wasn't sure it was real or a knock-off (it was a Silicom so it didn't have the yottamark sticker).
You logic is 'I use this. This is good. So this item is good' 'I use this. This is not good. So this items is not good'. Do you think it makes sense?
Escape from your own fantasy and old-age thought.