What's new

Are there any telemetry concerns with Asuswrt-Merlin ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I highly doubt @RMerlin collects data for any reason at all.
The only data exchanged are for the firmware update notification function and if I remember correctly, this only contains the router model and _maybe_ the currently installed firmware version.
As for Asus, I would have no idea. But looking at the dnsmasq logs I see no evidence of them doing so on Merlin firmware.

ASUS firmware (and therefore Merlin) does do regular DNS probes to dns.msftncsi.com (owned by Microsoft). You can disable this by:
Code:
nvram set dns_probe_content=0.0.0.0
nvram set dns_probe_host=""
nvram commit
reboot
From: https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/excessive-requests-for-dns-msftncsi-com/556/6

Not that this is really telemetry data

This is used by the firmware to determine if there is an active Internet connection (in the past, they would ping a list of random DNS servers - using the Microsoft DNS that's designed for such a purpose is cleaner and safer). This can also be disabled through the webui under Tools -> Other Settings since 380.66.

This is used by the firmware to determine if there is an active Internet connection (in the past, they would ping a list of random DNS servers - using the Microsoft DNS that's designed for such a purpose is cleaner and safer). This can also be disabled through the webui under Tools -> Other Settings since 380.66.

@RMerlin,

Is this part of the Wanduck process ?​