What's new

Are there AX wifi cards that have that AX beam forming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jusjohn55

Regular Contributor
On the Asus AX 88U, there was an option for AX beam forming. All of the AX cards, like the Asus AX3000 and the TP Link AX3000 both don't have AX beam forming. Is there a single AX PCIe wifi card that has AX beam forming and if so, which ones have it?

The router controls that, not the client.

The router controls that, not the client.
I thought that beamforming had to be supported on both the device and the router? Thats how it was for AC beamforming. Then Universal Beamforming did not need the client to have it

How do you know those cards don't support AX beamforming?

You are correct that "explicit" beamforming used in both 802.11ac and 802.11ax must be supported by both AP and STA.

"universal" (aka "implicit" beamforming does not have to be supported on the STA.

Last edited:
How do you know those cards don't support AX beamforming?

You are correct that "explicit" beamforming used in both 802.11ac and 802.11ax must be supported by both AP and STA.

"universal" (aka "implicit" beamforming does not have to be supported on the STA.
The cards don't mention AX beam forming support at all so I am just guessing since that is a marketing point

The cards don't mention AX beam forming support at all so I am just guessing since that is a marketing point
I would not assume that. The ASUS PCE-AX3000 uses the Intel AX200. I'm guessing the TP-Link Archer TX3000E does, too.
The AX200 data sheet is not the greatest and has no mention of beamforming. It also doesn't mention MU-MIMO.
I tried to download the card's Wi-Fi Certificate, which would at least note if it were certified for beamforming, but the site is under maintenance.

I'm pretty sure the card supports beamforming, however.

Does the AX88U have separate controls for AC and AX beamforming?

I would not assume that. The ASUS PCE-AX3000 uses the Intel AX200. I'm guessing the TP-Link Archer TX3000E does, too.
The AX200 data sheet is not the greatest and has no mention of beamforming. It also doesn't mention MU-MIMO.
I tried to download the card's Wi-Fi Certificate, which would at least note if it were certified for beamforming, but the site is under maintenance.

I'm pretty sure the card supports beamforming, however.

Does the AX88U have separate controls for AC and AX beamforming?
If what you mean is that you can swap between AX and AC beam forming on that router then yes, there is an option to disable the AX beamforming feature and just use the AC

That's odd. AFAIK AX beamforming isn't that different than AC. This may be another example of a control ASUS exposes that creates more problems than it solves.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!