What's new

Are there smart home devices which use 5GHz wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
Are there any 5 GHz wireless smart home devices out there? I don't run 2.4 GHz wireless any more. My wife bought a device to turn off lights but it was only 2.4 GHz so it would not work with my wireless.

thats terrible, considering the interference that can cause connection issues if said smart device is a door bell, a lock, a wireless camera system, a motion sensor and so on.
What's worse, no connection due to interference or short range?
These are not performance driven products and low cost is key.

Are there any 5 GHz wireless smart home devices out there? I don't run 2.4 GHz wireless any more. My wife bought a device to turn off lights but it was only 2.4 GHz so it would not work with my wireless.

My Amazon Echo uses 5 Ghz.

My wife bought a device to turn off lights but it was only 2.4 GHz so it would not work with my wireless.

Just an FYI: the Caseta Wireless devices from Lutron communicate to a bridge that you hardwire to your network. They don't live on your WiFi. And they work great.

Not much out there for 5GHz natively - I've seen some of the esoteric stuff that runs in the non-WiFi (basically ISM) space that break out to a gateway box, but most of those boxes are ethernet.

With your Router and dedicated AP configuration - would it hurt to set up a dedicated SSID and VLAN for these IOT devices that run on 2.4 - one AP in 2.4GHz should probably cover more than enough of the property...

Might be a worthwhile exercise with the holiday season fast approaching - guest network for visitors... same policy would apply perhaps...