What's new

Are XT8 nodes hardwired to a AX3000 router in "AP mode" by default?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Piel

Regular Contributor
Question says it all. I've given up having my XT8s have proper wireless upload speeds (I'm on FiOS), so I put an ax3000 in front of them to see if I could make that improve things, but I'm not seeing any material improvements.

Thanks!

Your XT8(s) will be in Router mode by default. They don't automatically go into any particular mode, you have to set a different mode than Router mode, like AP mode, if that's what you want.

How do I do that? Do I need to log in to each individual node and set them to AP mode? I can't seem to find any option from the AX3000 router page

So I went to each node's IP address and it redirected back to the main router. Any thoughts?

Because they are in AiMesh configuration. You have to reset them individually and set in AP Mode, if this is what you want.

Sorry to be thick. I reset the node and re-added it, but it did not give me the option to set it in AP mode.

Sorry to be thick. I reset the node and re-added it, but it did not give me the option to set it in AP mode.

AiMesh = router/AP + nodes = root node + remote nodes

A root node in AP Mode is wired to a non-AiMesh router.

ISP <wire> modem <wire> AiMesh in Router Mode <wire/wireless> AiMesh nodes

To configure AiMesh in Router Mode (default), reset all nodes, login to the root node webUI and configure it including searching/adding all remote nodes. AiMesh will automatically configure the remote nodes.

ISP <wire> modem <wire> non-AiMesh router <wire> AiMesh in AP Mode <wire/wireless> AiMesh nodes

To configure AiMesh in AP Mode, reset all nodes, login to the root node webUI and configure it for AP Mode (Administration) including searching/adding all remote nodes. AiMesh will automatically configure the remote nodes. Then wire the root node WAN to a non-AiMesh router LAN. Guest WLANs will not be isolated from the non-AiMesh router (intranet).

If you only want a router or a wired AP, don't add any remote nodes.

When logged into the webUI, use the FAQ Search to find instructions online.

OE

Last edited:
How do I do that? Do I need to log in to each individual node and set them to AP mode? I can't seem to find any option from the AX3000 router page

Just go into the Asus Router smart phone app or iPad app for each XT8 router and set the mode to AP instead of router mode. Just go to "Settings" on the bottom of the app "Home" page, then to "System", then you'll see that it's in Router mode near the top of those settings. Just tap that to go into the mode settings, and tap "AP", and "Apply" and you'll be there. You need to do that for both of your XT8's, since you have them each separately wired to your RT-AX3000 router.

At least, if that's how they're wired...from the comment "I reset the node and re-added it", I'm not sure how you have them connected..."re-adding" sounds more like AiMesh, as opposed to just connecting them with an ethernet cable as you would with an AP. If you're back to a mesh configuration, you can do the above procedure as well, but you would do for the whole ZenWiFi mesh.

i was finally able to switch all the XT8s to AP Mode...curiously, two of the nodes decided to connect to two other APs as opposed to being fully separated. That said, it did NOT resolve the fact that none of the network can support uploads above 250 Mbps despite the router doing ~950 u/d

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!