What's new

Arris S33 signal/power issues?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Unibrowser

Regular Contributor
Spectrum upgraded me to their "gig" plan a while back, and I never get more than 500mbps down, sometimes it's as low as 200mbps depending on the server and time of day. To remedy this I bought this Arris S33 DOCSIS 3.1 modem rated for 3gbps. The issue is the same which leads me to believe that its either a signal issue coming from Spectrum or attenuation on the cable some how. I also recently ran a separate RG-6 cable so that the connection from the street goes straight to the modem, no splitters at all in between. I called Arris tech support and they said they see a few issues, one issue is that all of the SNR db ratings should be between 45 and 52db. Also there are supposed to be 8 upstream channels listed for DOCSIS 3.1 but there are only 4 listed here. Since both the ISP modem and the Arris modem get the same results I'm having Spectrum send out a tech on Tuesday to check it out. Anyone have any other input or ideas? Is there a way to possibly boost signal on the coax? Also, yes my entire network is all wired up with Gigabit ethernet. Other Spectrum customers with the same service are seeing speeds around 940mbps and maybe an average of 850 or more during peak hours. My upstream speed is always consistent no matter what (i get 41-42mbps up and the plan is for 40mbps). I've attached screen shots of the Arris Web UI.

Attachments

• downstream.jpg
    downstream.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 96
  • upstream.jpg
    upstream.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 99
Easiest way to solve this is to get spectrum's modem and them make them fix it. Once it is working well, you can go back to your own modem. And return the Arris in the meantime as you probably won't even need it.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!