What's new

Arris TG3442 + Asus RT-AC86U Possible Setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Homelab

New Around Here
Hello,

My ISP forces me to use an Arris TG3442 modem/router combo however the firmware on it has very limited options (no VPN options). I would like to use OpenVPN on the router so I have decided to go for an Asus router running Asuswrt-Merlin. I am however concerned how the two will interact, issues with two NATs and issues with speed (I am on a 1Gbit connection).

1. If I set the Arris in bridge mode can I expect to maintain my gigabit speed through the AC86U? (without VPN of course, I plan to leave some devices off the VPN.)

2. If I configure OpenVPN on the AC86U, will the bridged Arris cause any issues?

3. If I have Arris --> AC86U + OpenVPN --> Second VPN connection on laptop, would this still work?

Thanks!

yes if you exlude the laptop from router-VPN

And what if I leave the laptop on the router VPN? Wouldn't this just create a VPN chain?

I imagine performance would take a significant hit here but it could be an interesting solution to create a sort of VPN redundancy. Could be useful if you wanted to use a second VPN where the provider would never know your home IP.

It is sometimes possible to run a double VPN where you have your PC using a VPN tunnel on the router and a second tunnel on the PC using a VPN client. A couple of things that may not allow it to happen is if you try to connect and the VPN provider sees you are using a VPN connection from them already. Another issue is if the VPN clients try and use the same port.

As stated it kills your speed:

Latency Download

Astrill on PC - Dallas Server 47 248
PIA Router Miami 44 226
PIA and Astrill 51 108

A single test is not very scientific but it gives you an idea.