Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Arris To Add McAfee Security Platform To Broadband Products

Discussion in 'General Network Security' started by Julio Urquidi, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Julio Urquidi

Julio Urquidi News Editor

arris-sbg7580-ac.jpg
    The first Arris product to get McAfee Secure Home Platform embedded is the SURFboard SBG7580-AC gateway. The Intel-owned McAfee security platform will protect home network products, including computers, mobile hardware, and IoT devices from viruses and malware.

Features of the McAfee Security Platform include:
    • Cloud-based backend
    • Device identification especially for IoT devices
    • Internet pausing
    • Real-time alerts
    • Mobile app for remote management
    • Parental controls that restrict and schedule access
    The Arris SURFboard SBG7580-AC with McAfee Secure Home Internet will be available in the first half of 2017.

2. Wutikorn

Wutikorn Senior Member

Just want to clarify, TPG now has 51% ownership while Intel has 49% as from the following link. But Intel pretty much still has it. Hope McAfee subscription will be cheaper than Norton one which is about $10 monthly. But I trust McAfee slightly less than Norton based on AV scores, yet I still use it as it has unlimited devices plan.

3. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

I thought Intel were trying to get rid of McAfee, or at the very least of the name itself?

In any case, I don't have much faith personally in McAfee's product. Had nothing but bad experiences with their products since the WinXP days.

4. dilantin22

dilantin22 New Around Here

Wonder how this will stack with Norton's version of a "secure" router. As much as I dislike Norton and McAfee, at-least these vendors are trying to tackle the security problems instead of just releasing new hardware every 6 months with bad software. Hope other manufacturers take this into consideration and support their routers more long term with firmware updates.

mike2h likes this.