What's new

article suggestion: wired performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

james g

Occasional Visitor
I would like to suggest an article which (primarily) approaches the testing of current router(s) from a different perspective, wired performance. It seems like every article is set upon measuring wireless performance as if that is what everyone wants. I use wireless, but don't really care about wireless performance. I want to see a review which primarily addresses and tests a router used in a wired environment. I want to know about multiple users at the same time, throughput, etc. I am posting here as almost all of the current routers are a combo of wired and wireless. i would like to see a few of the suggested routers, like the tp-link c2600,c3200 and netgear 7000, have their wireless switched off and tested based on their wired performance.

Last edited:
The V4 router process contains 245 functional tests, more than you'll find anywhere else, since no one else does this testing.

The performance tests use 10 simultaneous connections. They also check the ability to support 3,000 simultaneous TCP and UDP sessions.

ok. i would be interested in seeing a re-test of the tp-link c2600 and c3200 based on the "v4 router process." it is ashame that some of the best router review comments, are somewhat buried: "The R7800 pushes aside TP-LINK's Archer C2600 to take the #1 rank of 5 tested AC2600 class routers. The TP-LINK now is tied in second place with Linksys' EA8500." "...for use with non MU devices, NETGEAR's R7800 is our new top performance-ranked choice."
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32958-netgear-r7800-nighthawk-x4s-smart-wifi-gaming-router-reviewed
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...00-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-router-reviewed

Last edited:
Not sure where you're going with this...

Perhaps review the test plan, as Tim's been good about publishing it...

First you speak about Wired Testing, and his results are consistent and repeatable - and there, the subject devices you mention do ok across the board.

Now you mention wireless - what's the end-game here?

I'm sure folks are open to suggestions, but so far, I'm not seeing any suggestions at all in this thread.

sfx2000- thank you for the reply. tim higgins posted a reply indicating that the 2016 "v4 router process" test measures wired throughput. i linked to 2 of his reviews.

sfx2000- thank you for the reply. tim higgins posted a reply indicating that the 2016 "v4 router process" test measures wired throughput. i linked to 2 of his reviews.
Router testing has always included wired router benchmarks. The V4 Router process increased the number of tests for a more complete review.
This is one of the benchmarks. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/179-wan-to-lan-tcp/31
The V4 Router test description linked previously describes the other benchmarks in the V4 process.

I can't promise when or if I will retest the routers you ask for.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!