What's new

AS5004T, 4th disk missing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gmt

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys, noticed this morning that one of my WD Red hdd on the above NAS model is no longer blinking like the other 3, quick check in the Storage Manager and indeed the disk is shown as missing. I have a raid 5 set up.
Took it out and plug it back , nothing happens. Can it be already broken, used it for 2 years if I recall I bought the disks on August 2015. I just did an ADM update to the latest version actually before, so not sure if it was ok before or not, :-(. Any help is much welcomed.

Thank you

I would suggest trying to plug it into a PC, and check if the PC BIOS can detect the disk at all. Also listen for any abnormal noise coming (or total lack of noise) from the HDD to determine if it's a hardware failure.

If it's defective, Caviar Red have a 3 years warranty, so you can have it replaced by WD.

Hi guys, noticed this morning that one of my WD Red hdd on the above NAS model is no longer blinking like the other 3, quick check in the Storage Manager and indeed the disk is shown as missing. I have a raid 5 set up.

Sounds like the drive has died - this happens...

If the drive is still within warranty, RMA the drive.

Hope you have a backup of the array, as it's likely operating in degraded mode - and the risk you have now with RAID5 is that rebuilding the array after the replacement disk, this can trigger additional failures on other drives.

Quick question to OP - did you have the NAS set to sleep/spin down the drives after a period?

Spin up is the most risky time for an HDD, and this is generally when they fail...

Hi, first of all, thank you all for answering, sorry for the delay, I was busy backing up the data from the raid. So ...
1. Checked the hdd by attaching it directly to the pc : not seen in bios at all, no sound, nothing. Seems dead, so I've opened a case to WD for RMA, seems to have warranty till 2018 so it might get exchanged.
2. While checking the data what should I keep what should I trash I saw that actually I use around 3 TB (after deleting a lot of stuff) out of the RAID5 9TB available, so I was thinking to re-create the raid as 10 when when the disk comes back.

Thoughts?

Best regards

RAID 10 increases redundancy, at the expense of storage space. RAID 10 is also generally faster to rebuild than a RAID 5.

So ultimately, it's up to you. Personally, I'd prefer a RAID 10, considering those 3.5" HDDs are inexpensive (compared to SAS 10K drives, for example).