What's new

Assistance Needed with Reverse Engineering Asus Router Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CommanderBronx

New Around Here
I am currently engaged in a challenging project: reverse engineering the firmware of the ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 router. My aim is to delve into the nuances of its firmware, and to create a baseline image of the device for thorough research and reference. I am reaching out to this community for insights and guidance, hoping to tap into the collective knowledge and experience available here.

My Key Questions:​

1. Understanding .pkgtb Files:
    • Can anyone shed light on the specifics of .pkgtb files within the context of the ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 firmware? What do these files typically contain – are they compressed archives, configuration files, or something else?
  2. Effective Extraction and Analysis:
    • What tools or methods are recommended for extracting and analyzing the contents of .pkgtb files effectively?
    • If you have any specific software recommendations or procedures that have proven successful in similar scenarios, I would greatly appreciate your advice.
  3. Creating a Baseline Image:
    • I aim to obtain a clean and comprehensive baseline image of the router's firmware for detailed comparison and research purposes.
    • Does anyone have experience or tips on how to effectively extract such an image, ensuring it’s a complete and accurate representation of the firmware?
  4. Additional Technical Insights:
    • If anyone has delved into specific components such as NAND reading, ECC systems, CFEs, bootloaders, JTAG, or software source code & compiling in the context of the ROG Rapture GT-AX11000, your expertise would greatly enhance the depth of this project.
I understand the complexity of this task and am eager for any help, pointers, documentation, tutorials, or personal experiences you might share regarding working with the firmware of the ROG Rapture GT-AX11000, especially concerning .pkgtb files.

Your guidance and shared experiences will greatly contribute to not only my project but also to the broader community interested in router firmware reverse engineering. I thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Why bother with unpacking/analyzing the content of the firmware image when you can get the GPL archive and compile it yourself?

The image generation can also be found within the GPL archive if you want to find out more info about it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!