What's new

Assistance with port opening for nginx...please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vw-kombi

Regular Contributor
I am new to this stuff so please be gentle.
I am using skynet also - if that is relevant, but I tried disabling it and no diff.
I have nginx installed on my MERLIN ROUTER and its working and redirecting to my hosts from the lan only - as it is all fine on the lan, I assume my config is all good.
I am using ssl port 9443, not the default. Port 80/443 are in use by the router and I dont need to use them, plus some isp's block these also so I choose 9443.
I am having trouble accessing this port from outside. A port checker on the net say it is blocked.
The ssl sophos headers check says 'taking too long' - same issue as port not there I guess.
I have tried port forward in merlin : - source IP - blank, port range - 9443, local IP - 192.168.1.1, local port - 9443 - TCP.
Much googling said to do this in the firewall - which I am not sure is in ADDITION to a port forward, or instead of - Add fw rule to the /jffs/scripts/firewall-start and restart :
iptables -t filter -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 9443 -j ACCEPT

I have spent many hours on this, but always a port checker on the net says 9443 is not open.
I have another direct open service on 8920 that is working, but that will be replaced with this reverse proxy once I get it working.

The key nginx script is below - but this is, as I said working fine when run on the LAN - I just cant access it remotely.

Thanks in advance.

server {
listen [::]:9443 ssl;
listen 9443 ssl;
server_name commented-out;

ssl_session_timeout 30m;
ssl_protocols TLSv1.2 TLSv1.1 TLSv1;
ssl_certificate /opt/etc/nginx/cert.pem;
ssl_certificate_key /opt/etc/nginx/cert.key;
ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:10m;

#add_header Public-Key-Pins '
#pin-sha256="8TzXdhbnv+l6EjDG2Vj9EmgGiSmZenrTZSNUFEwyUE=";
#pin-sha256="YLh1dUR9y6Kja30RrAn7JKnbQG/utLMkBgFF2Fuihg=";
#pin-sha256="Vjs8r4z+80wjNcr1KepWQboSIRi63WsWXhIMN+eWys=";
#max-age=86400; includeSubDomains';

add_header X-Xss-Protection "1; mode=block" always;
add_header X-Content-Type-Options "nosniff" always;
add_header Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=2592000; includeSubdomains" always;
add_header X-Frame-Options "SAMEORIGIN" always;
proxy_hide_header X-Powered-By;
add_header 'Referrer-Policy' 'no-referrer';
add_header Content-Security-Policy "frame-ancestors vaise.asuscomm.com;";

location / {
proxy_pass http://192.168.1.10:8096;
proxy_set_header Range $http_range;
proxy_set_header If-Range $http_if_range;
proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header Host $host;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
#Next three lines allow websockets
proxy_http_version 1.1;
proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
proxy_set_header Connection "upgrade";
}
l

I've never used nginx on the router so I can only guess. But my first thought is you probably don't want to use port forwarding to the router's internal address (192.168.1.1). So get rid of any port forwarding rules you have.

Then, assuming that nginx is listening on the router's WAN interface as well as its LAN interface your firewall-start script should work. After rebooting your router for the script to take effect, check it with the following:

iptables-save -t filter
netstat -an | grep 9443

hhhhmmm. Thanks Colin. I found a few other google searches that said to not port forward to the routers lan address, as that does not work and breaks it - That was removed. I dont get the nginx listening on the wan address however, all the examples I have seen dont show and address to listen on......

Do you get anything returned from "netstat -an | grep 9443"? I expected it would be listening on "all" interfaces (0.0.0.0).

Was the iptables command correctly inserted?

iptables-save -t filter gives a list, and I can see this in there twice strangely :

-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 9443 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 9443 -j ACCEPT

admin@RT-AC68U-AC38:/jffs/scripts# netstat -an | 9443
-sh: 9443: not found
admin@RT-AC68U-AC38:/jffs/scripts#

get nothing back from netstat -an | grep 9443

Thanks for assisting in this.

1. You are putting that iptables command in your firewall-start script and rebooting aren't you? You're not just typing it into the command line?

2. You have mistyped the netstat command:

netstat -an | grep 9443

Contents of firewall-start :

admin@RT-AC68U-AC38:/jffs/scripts# more firewall-start
#!/bin/sh
sh /jffs/scripts/firewall start skynetloc=/tmp/mnt/sda1/skynet # Skynet Firewall Addition
iptables -t filter -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 9443 -j ACCEPT

admin@RT-AC68U-AC38:/jffs/scripts#

and did a reboot yes. Saw the typo - nothing came back.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas then. It netstat doesn't return anything and nginx is running I don't understand how this can work at all.:(:confused:

Cheers for the info tho Colin. Must be others on here using nginx on the router itself who may be able to assist.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!