What's new

Astrill broadcast through mesh network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

larryshen2006

New Around Here
Hi gurus,

I had purchased a AX56u (wifi-6) in China (in reality, it is indeed an AX55 elsewhere) which wouldn't work with Merlin, and I had it returned.

I then purchased a more traditional AC68u and loaded Merlin + Astrill applet on it... Astrill even has the option of having 1 wifi radio going through VPN tunnel (e.g. 2.4G) and the other without, which is great.

However I need to cover other areas of home which the range of AC58u (wifi-5) wouldn't reach. So I need to purchase another router to build a mesh network.

Would it work if I re-purchase the AX56u (AX55) as a secondary router to form a mesh and have Astrill meshed onto the it then it would work throughout home?

It would be
- AC68u as the main router (with merlin / astrill loaded), 1 radio with astrill and the other radio without
- AX55 as the secondary router (with stock firmware) and then broadcast both the w/astril and w/o astrill signal

The desire outcome is I can see a VPN-ssid and no-VPN-ssid throughout home - Would this plan work?

I couldn't find anywhere that mesh would work with the main router having VPN loaded, so have to post a new thread...

Many thank...

Mesh definitely works using the standard VPN client on the latest stock firmware (AC86U 41994).

Whether it works with Astrill, I can’t confirm - even though I’m an Astrill app user on a separate (non Mesh) network.

I would say it’s highly likely. When Merlin moves to the 41994 GPL, I might even try it (AX88U)

Thanks princi.. with your encouragement I got my AX55 back and formed a mesh network with Astrill applet on the main (AC68u).

It worked in large part, and I was able to
- Get the two routers meshed (AC68u on merlin and AX55 on latest stock)
- Get Astrill to tunnel VPN through 2.4G radio only... leaving 5G radio not going through VPN for better local traffic speed... And if I am connected through the main router (standing next to it), I can clearly see the effect (switching between 2.4G/5G ssid would enable / disable some blocked website)

The only short fall is
- When I am connected through the mesh node (AX55), both SSID's are tunneled through VPN so the local traffic through is slower.

I don't know what caused this. Is this because Mesh uses the 2.4G radio and as the 2.4G SSID was "soiled" with VPN on the main router the node SSIS's (both 2.4g and 5g) are automatically tunneled?

Can anybody offer any insight into this (or how this can be fixed)...