What's new

Astrill VPN Preferences not working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheBigDuck

New Around Here
Firmware: 380.65
Astrill JFF v: 2.9.9.1

Router AC-5300

I used the Astrill VPN app, installed and it persists after reboot.

Unfortunately, when I try to adjust a setting like, "Exclude these devices" on the device filter tab, I get the spinning wheel of eternity and nothing more.

Any suggestions? Am I missing a setting that allows for writing to the JFF? I really did look thru all of them, but maybe in my old age I missed a spot.

Thanks in advance.

Heinrich

You might want to contact them. 380.65 introduced some fairly major changes with the OpenVPN upgrade to 2.4.0.

Firmware: 380.65
Astrill JFF v: 2.9.9.1

Router AC-5300

I used the Astrill VPN app, installed and it persists after reboot.

Unfortunately, when I try to adjust a setting like, "Exclude these devices" on the device filter tab, I get the spinning wheel of eternity and nothing more.

Any suggestions? Am I missing a setting that allows for writing to the JFF? I really did look thru all of them, but maybe in my old age I missed a spot.

Thanks in advance.

Heinrich

I tried setting up the Astrill app on a router for my son to take on an extended trip. I had similar problems.

What does work very well with the latest version of Merlin and Astrill is simply upload the ovpn file from Astrill directly onto your router. There is a radio button in the GUI to facilitate this. You should be up and running within a couple of minutes.

Before doing this clear the Astrill App out by doing a factory reset.

I contacted Astrill.

They told me to switch browser to Firefox.

I initially thought it was goofy request, but I remember their app is an .asp script which they probably test using Firefox.

I am an Internet cowboy, I use Vivaldi.

Naturally, fired up my Firefox and lo and behold, it worked.

Moral of the Story: Firefox + Astril App = works fine.

Also, I love Merlin in that it shows CPU and Memory load.

I tried setting up the Astrill app on a router for my son to take on an extended trip. I had similar problems.

What does work very well with the latest version of Merlin and Astrill is simply upload the ovpn file from Astrill directly onto your router. There is a radio button in the GUI to facilitate this. You should be up and running within a couple of minutes.

Before doing this clear the Astrill App out by doing a factory reset.

I found using Telnet and pasting in the supplied text failed.

Turn on Ssh and ssh into the router, paste the test and it will install the Astrill App without issues.

Best of luck

I found using Telnet and pasting in the supplied text failed.

Turn on Ssh and ssh into the router, paste the test and it will install the Astrill App without issues.

Best of luck

Didn't need any luck. Have done it on two routers (N66 - AC-68) running Merlin v65.

All done using GUI

1. Go to VPN TAB

2. Open VPN Client TAB - Client 1

3. Go to import ovpn file then choose the ovpn file you get from Astrill

4. Click upload

5. Then click apply or start can't remember if both required but after that it is up and running.

Only options I selected manually was to start with WAN and selected policy rules so I can control which clients use VPN and which go local ISP.

Not much luck, time or skill required. Merlin in the magician that made it possible.

P.S. One advantage of running the VPN directly in Merlin's firmware is the traffic stats/ bandwidth use works and you get reliable data. Running the Astrill App it seemed that if the VPN app was running I could not get the traffic data.