What's new

Asus 3200 (Merlin 384.13.2) won't register w/Cox Gigablast Modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve Bepko

New Around Here
Set my Cox "panoramic wifi" Gigablast modem (Docsis 3.1)to Bridge mode, but after much weeping and gnashing of teeth (with and w/o Cox assistance) could NOT get my Asus 3200 (Merlin 384.13.2) to access the Internet through what was now simply a modem gateway. The 3200 and the Gigablast appeared to be communicating (looking at the Ethernet activity LED's).

Q1: Tried all sorts of Gigablast firmware settings, no joy. Did NOT try any 3200 firmware settings, any ideas from you guys and gals? I would prefer Bridge mode for reasons stated below.

I did manage a workaround- disable Gigablast Bridge mode, turn off Gigablast wireless radios, and run the 3200 as a subnet. Still not quite there yet though...

I have multiple security cameras on the 3200 subnet. Doing the usual port-forwarding on both the 3200 and the Gigablast, I can access the cameras from outside my network using either an external Dynamic DNS service ($24.95/yr) or using my Public IP from Cox as the host name.

In my pre-Gigablast days I was using an older Cox modem (Docsis 3.0)and the 3200's DDNS service (xxx.asuscomm.com). However, now using the Gigablast and 3200 as a subnet I cannot seem to get the 3200's DDNS to the outside world.

Q2: Any ideas how to get comms to the Asus DDNS through the Gigablast? I disabled the Gigablast firewall, no joy. A 3200 firmware setting maybe? Cox won't assign a static IP to residential installs , and I'd prefer to use my 3200's DDNS for (real or imagined...;o) security concerns.

My nuclear option is to purchase a separate Docsis 3.1 modem, which would pay for itself in about a year. But for fun, I'd still like to at least try to get the above issues resolved. A solution to Q2 above would make me a happy camper.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited:
With your modem in bridge mode and then plugging in the router, check the WAN IP on the router GUI, you can google search 'my ip' to see your current IP and see if they are the same.