What's new

ASUS 4G-AC68U renew ip every 12 hours

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alex26

New Around Here
Hello,
I have a 4G-AC68U router, it only works in 4G so I disable the double WAN. The problem is that every 12h the router seems sent a request to renew the ip address, which generates a disconnection the time it gets this new IP address. The cycle is repeated every day at 12:47 and 00:47.

The router has the latest firmware, IP renewal every 12 hours is not because of my operator ...

Unfortunately I do not find anything in the parameters that will allow me to change that, have you any idea?

Thank you

Attachments

• Router asus.png
    Router asus.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 278
The wanduck process monitors the 4G modem. If it detects that the modem no longer has an IP address it attempts to get a new one.

So it would appear that this is an issue with the 4G modem.

The problem is that every 12h the router seems sent a request to renew the ip address, which generates a disconnection the time it gets this new IP address.
Typically this is controlled by the DHCP server and there is nothing you can do (as far as I am aware). The 24h lease time is likely due to the 4G connection, moving to DSL/Cable would likely resolve this, but sounds like that is not an option for you.

Why is it an issue that your WAN goes down 10 seconds twice a day? Maybe there is something there that we can help you with.

If it detects that the modem no longer has an IP address it attempts to get a new one.
In this case I think it is simply the request for lease renewal (normal DHCP function) not that it no longer has an IP. Small difference.

The DHCP renewal request is obtaining a different IP (from what I can see in the log) which is typical of many ISPs and 4g in particular I would assume.

In this case I think it is simply the request for lease renewal (normal DHCP function) not that it no longer has an IP. Small difference.
You can look at the code for yourself here. But ultimately I think you are correct in that the underlying reason it no longer has a valid IP address is that the DHCP lease has expired or there is some other "time limit" imposed by the operator or hardware. Either way there's nothing that can be done on the router side to fix it.

Thank you for your answers. Curious is that with my old 4G router (Huawei B715) I had no problem but I had no system log so maybe I was not careful.

I lose the connection 30 seconds each time, the night is not a problem but the day a little more, especially if I play a video game or I watch a video ..

It is a shame not to be able to do anything about it. Even modifying the .CFG file with WRT settings software will not be any solution?

It is a shame not to be able to do anything about it
Based on this info, I can only see this as being a lease issue and therefore it is controlled by your ISP. Talking to them is your only option. The DHCP server configuration is under there control and that is where lease time is configured. As a DHCP client you have no control.

Some ISPs (as does one of mine) allow you to pay for a static IP. Not sure obviously if your does or not, or if this is even an option with 4g, but worth looking into.

Last edited:
Yes I inquire but my operator does not offer this option.

I see that if I restart the router the cycle of 12h returns to 0 that's why I thought it was a parameter of the router and not my operator but what you said makes sense and thank you for the help you gave me.

PS: Excuse me if my english and bad I am french.

On reset, the same process occurs. The 4g modem requests an IP address from the DHCP server and also gets the 24h lease time. At 1/2 the lease time (12h) it requests a renewal and that is when the IP address changes. It takes a few seconds (up to 30 in your case apparently) to cycle the various services that need to know the IP changed.

Excuse me if my english and bad I am french
Not an issue!

Sorry @Alex26, I mis-read your router model number. I thought you were using a separate 4G modem with your router. I now see that it is built into the router. Unfortunately I don't think this changes anything.

I use two Asus 4G router and it's all ok. There is nothing to configure nor a need to think about this topic in mobile networks. Asus had some problems related to this topic, but this is fixed since one or two years.
Hello,
I have a 4G-AC68U router, it only works in 4G so I disable the double WAN. The problem is that every 12h the router seems sent a request to renew the ip address, which generates a disconnection the time it gets this new IP address. The cycle is repeated every day at 12:47 and 00:47.

The router has the latest firmware, IP renewal every 12 hours is not because of my operator ...

Unfortunately I do not find anything in the parameters that will allow me to change that, have you any idea?

Thank you

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk