What's new

ASUS 68U - OK to install latest Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jb111

New Around Here
Hi -- I recently had a problem with my new 68U router that required a rescue mode reset. The ASUS tech support had me install a fairly old firmware version (3.0.0.4.374.371). It works OK, but I am thinking of upgrading to Merlin's latest firmware version. I was cautioned by the support guy against upgrading firmware versions "too high or too fast". My question is: Is it OK to install Merlin's latest version, should I do an older version first? Do I need to do a factory reset after? Thanks in advance.

Others will quickly correct my memory here if I'm wrong, but this is what I would do.

Upgrade to the Asus 376.3236 firmware as it will upgrade the boot loader properly.

Afterwards, upgrade to the latest RMerlin firmware for fixes to the latest stable Asus firmware.

I would be upgrading to the RMerlin Beta 2 version myself, for all the incorporated fixes and the highest known security threats addressed.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=22485

Last bit of advice? Take everything tech support tells you with a grain of salt. Even an Asus tech. :)

Thanks so much for your reply, and I hate to be a pest, but I do not see that firmware version (376.3236) posted on the Asus download site. I should have mentioned I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Hi,
Do you have a reason to update or just because newer f/w is available? For me I never update anything unless there is a valid reason.

For me the biggest reason are all the security fixes including but not limited to the heartbleed bug in OpenSSL.

Sorry, I knew I wasn't remembering it right.

The correct version that updates the boot loader is Version 3.0.0.4.376.3626.

Find it here and note that it doesn't matter what O/S you pick to get the firmware file.

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

Remember to do a reset to factory defaults after you flash this version, then you can flash any version you want. (After resetting to defaults, make sure you manually enter your settings when setting up the router. Doing a restore from a saved backup defeats the purpose of the factory reset).

Stability, range, speeds all seemed a little better with the later version before I had to do the rescue. I had read in some other reviews and in these posts that the Merlin firmware had excellent stability, perhaps better than the stock firmware, and I had contemplated installing it. I am not an experienced network guy, so I defer to your collective wisdom, and I'll sit tight if that is what you think is best. Also, I apologize if my posting etiquette is off, can't find thanks prompt for some reason, I am very appreciative of any advice.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online